UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2016, 10:36 am   #1
Mark Morb
Triode

Default Beocord 1200 - Out/In Connections

Hi Guys,
I've got the chance to buy one of these (unseen) but I can't find any pictures of the connections anywhere online, I'm a bit wary of buying anything by B&O in case they have some sort of bespoke connections.
Will I be able to plug this unit into a standard HiFi Amp? and conversely is it easy enough to plug into to record? Does it have standard in/out phono connections?
Thanks for you help...
Mark
Old 27th Mar 2016, 11:44 am   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Beocord 1200 - Out/In Connections

Hi,
Have a look at www.beocentral.com/beocord1200 for some more info.
I imagine that a machine of this vintage will have DIN sockets rather than phonos. My Beocord 1800 has three and I found out what does which through experimantation because B&O are fond of using hieroglyphics instead of worded labels.
I connected mine to a Leak Delta 30 amp without any problems, so any amp with line level in/outs should be OK.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 27th Mar 2016, 12:19 pm   #3
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Default Re: Beocord 1200 - Out/In Connections

If it is DIN then the output should connect directly to the line in of an amp (Pin3 LH, Pin 5RH)

However the input level will need to be fed through a resistor of about 470Kohms to cut
the level down (Pin 1 LH, Pin 3 RH)

Pin 2 is ground.

Some take decks have a high level input on another socket.
Old 27th Mar 2016, 2:34 pm   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Just to make this clear, DIN standards for tape recorders and amplifiers are mirror image, to allow pin-to-pin DIN leads to perform the usual functions. Thus:

Amplifiers : Input Pin 3 left, Pin 5 right, Pin 2 earth
Output Pin 1 left, Pin 4 right, Pin 2 earth

Recorders : Input Pin 1 left, Pin 4 right, Pin 2 earth
Output Pin 3 left, Pin 5 right, Pin2 earth

Also, the DIN standard is written in terms of current drive rather than voltage, hence the apparently high sensitivities and the need for attenuation resistors.

Incidentally, the pins run round the plug in this order - 1,4,2,5,3.
Old 27th Mar 2016, 3:47 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I have such a tape recorder.

I has DIN sockets on the bottom for 'radio' (line level stereo input and output) and 'aux' (another recording input (only) at a similar level). There are also 4 phono sockets on the bottom which carry the same signals as the 'radio' socket, but IIRC the input levels are not the same (there are resistive attenuators in series with the phono sockets).

There are also a pair of DIN sockets for microphones on the left side of the control panel. These are wired so you can plug a pair of mono microphones in (one to each socket) or a stereo microphone. In one socket the latter gives the channels the normal way round, in the other it swaps them (according to the manual if you suspend the microphone upside-down)

Finally there is a 1/4" jack socket on the right side of the control panel for monitoring headphones (or replay to headphones). As it's only a 2-head machine this is not an off-tape monitor in record mode, of course.

There is no built-in speaker amplifier. The Beocord 1600 is the same machine with such an amplifier fitted, essentially.

You certainly don't have to use it with a B&O amplifier. It will work with just about anything, and the connections are standard.
Closed Thread