UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Mar 2016, 10:54 am   #1
soundfactory
Diode

Default Teac A-3440 - Brake issues

Hi all, I recently purchased one of these as I've fancied getting a reel to reel for a while.
It seems to have issues with the brakes staying on when ffw or rew is used, I'm having to manually 'help' the brake solenoids as they rarely move under their own steam.
It plays OK but often the brake stays on partially on the left reel and needs a slight nudge to free it.
I've cleaned the solenoids with servisol 10 but the problem persists.

Does this sound like it needs new brake solenoids or could the problem be on the power supply board?
Any advice, tips or help in diagnosing this would be very appreciated as I'm eager to start using this beast!
Thanks in advance
Old 18th Mar 2016, 2:37 pm   #2
ITAM805
Nonode

Default Re: Teac A-3440 - Brake issues

Is the solenoid working at all, are the release spring/bands adjusted correctly ?
Old 18th Mar 2016, 7:31 pm   #3
soundfactory
Diode

Hi, the solenoids engage but intermittently (maybe 2 out of 10 times on the left reel), as if they're a bit lazy, or not getting enough power.
I haven't adjusted anything as I didn't want to ruin it further.

Another related issue I've discovered, when playing the smaller 7" reels I have to keep it on the larger tape setting.
If I select the smaller reel setting the right tension arm goes across to the right and the motor switches off, however if I push the solenoid in on the right reel it plays fine
Thanks for the reply
Cheers
Geoff
Old 20th Mar 2016, 4:03 am   #4
soundfactory
Diode

Fixed!!
Turned out the solenoids needed moving (quite a bit) from their original factory positions.
Works great now
Chuffed to bits.
I've noticed the tape counter isn't moving, anyone know what size belt it takes or a place to find one?
Thanks
Closed Thread