UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2018, 9:09 am   #1
micday07
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help With HMV 2011 Radiogram with UA14 turntable

Hi All.

I recently purchased an HMV 2011 Radiogram to refurb as a present for someone, I have fixed / repaired several Dansettes before but this is a little more adventurous. I realise this is a live chassis device and am taking all the correct precautions.

Having replaced all the usual paper capacitors and open cct resistors the unit is seems to comply with all the voltages on the cct diagram within acceptable tolerances (as defined by me )

So the radio sounds fine, picks up plenty of stations without an external antenna, has quite a surprising clarity and good amount of volume which is great, in fact distorts a bit at max which a) is too loud and b) I suspect is the speaker.

To cut the waffle, I have 2 remaining issues:-

1. there is a volume dependant hum which you cannot really hear on the radio as it is drowned out but dependant upon the cartridge used and its output the hum can be heard, so with a SX6H (output is quite high) I think I can live with the hum but would prefer to be rid of it, still the volume is nowhere near that of the radio. With the Sonotone 3549 it came with, the output is much lower and the volume at max is really not loud enough.

I suspect that the hum is contributing to this 'lack' of volume in both cases So, any pointers to reducing what I suspect is volume dependant mains hum on this sort of amp would be gratefully accepted.

2. The BSR UA14 turntable skates inwards, pretty much at the same spot on my test record, then stops skating in pretty much the same spot, this appears to be cartridge independant (have tried three).

As with the previous UA14's I've played with (but never seen this issue) I have adjusted arm height with the screw at the back of the arm, stylus weight with the spring and arm return with the screw at the base of the arm pivot.

I can only ever reduce to skipping to the best case as described above or worse. I'm wondering if there is a slight twist in the arm as everything else is smooth and free moving.
Again any suggestions would be appreciated, currently I'm looking for a desk replacement as I suspect it a tricky one to resolve.

Sorry for the long post but I really just wanted to get as much info down as possible!!

Thanks, Mike.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 3:37 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Help With HMV 2011 Radiogram with UA14 turntable

Skating is usually a sign of an extremely worn stylus. Ther may be not enough of the "tip" left to keep it in the grooves.
Old 25th Feb 2018, 10:40 am   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

The OP has stated that he has tried three different cartridges.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 6:45 pm   #4
Dazmond
Hexode

I'm sure you've probably tried this, but if you start the auto mechanism and let the arm drop, then lift it and float it in the area that it's skipping do you feel any resistance in the arm?

Something else to try is take the deck out and have it suspended on something in way where you can still operate it but also see underneath, (those folding cupboard shelves you can get are good for this) then have a light shining up into the mechanism and place a mirror so it's reflecting the under side of the deck. Keep one eye on the mechanism and the other on the arm, as the arm skips see if there any sudden jolts or movements underneath that could be causing this.

Also has the deck been serviced?

Thanks,

Darren.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 11:33 pm   #5
micday07
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for your reply guys,

The skipping I believe in the end was down to a slightly misaligned arm and an absolutely knackered test 'Gary Numan' album, once put back into the case and left to 'float' on the springs things got a lot better.
The new stylus in the SX6H made some difference too, as for the buzz, again I think that this was me being super critical, and was barely noticeable once everything was back in the chassis.

Although I was happy with everything once reassembled, I have not spoken to the person who's 50th birthday present it was, will hopefully see him next week!!!

As for the HMV 2011, it is a beautiful compact model, and much prettier than any of the Dansette's I have previously restored, I am on the look out for another for myself.

Thanks again, you guys are always a wealth of knowledge and always, without exception, unselfishly helpful.

Thanks,
Mike.
Closed Thread