UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Feb 2018, 12:10 pm   #21
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: N4307 Phillips open reel motor

Take a look at these scans in post #10: Philips N4307-55 supplement.pdf and N4307-55 supplement 1.pdf

You'll see on the back page, that a 500mA fuse is fitted on all but the earliest N4307/55 units to protect the combined motor/mains transformer. This may have "blown" when you connected 230V to your machine when set to 110V mains. So, worth checking it. Replace with the same type.

If your machine is early production code AH02 (see the text on the front page of the N4307/55 supplement), it may not have this fuse fitted and I recommend you fit one.

The "factory code" will be printed on a small paper label stuck either inside the mains lead stowage compartment, or on the metal chassis somewhere. Alternatively, if you can't find the 500mA fuse, then one must be fitted.

Last edited by dazzlevision; 23rd Feb 2018 at 12:17 pm.
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 5:03 pm   #22
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: N4307 Phillips open reel motor

Hi,
Further to my earlier reply, I dug out my motor from the junk box.
Alas, it's different to yours in that, even though it looks the same and would physically fit, it doesn't supply the electronics. The machine has a separate transformer.
It has, instead, two coils which are connected in series for 230 volts, and in parallel for 110 volts mains.
Awfully sorry about that, Old Bean.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 9:17 pm   #23
clinchy
Triode

No worries and many thanks for looking for me. Kevin
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 9:29 pm   #24
clinchy
Triode

Thank you all for your input. I'm taking on all he advise and do the checks. I'll keep on looking for a motor and sort out the fuse. I'm using this as a learning project on electronics side and if ends up as spares won't be a loss. Any advice is gladly welcomed. I have 10 reel to reel players which give me lots of enjoyment plus about same in cassette decks from the seventies have got playing again, but there is one thing for sure, never stop learning
Closed Thread