UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2005, 5:22 pm   #1
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Default Amplion Delegate Dial stringing

The pointer seems to move in the wrong direction compared with other sets in my collection. Anti clockwise moves right to left. Is this correct, or do I need to re fit the dial cord? It does not seem to have been changed but as I have the chassis out of the case now would be a good time to change it.
Old 28th Aug 2005, 7:38 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Amplion Delegate Dial stringing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireful3
The pointer seems to move in the wrong direction compared with other sets in my collection. Anti clockwise moves right to left. Is this correct, or do I need to re fit the dial cord? It does not seem to have been changed but as I have the chassis out of the case now would be a good time to change it.
Hi John
Not really sure what you sare saying here, but the drive layout cannot change itself - how about seeing which end of the scale corresponds to which end of the tuning gang?
If the drive cord is working OK, I would leave it.
Old 28th Aug 2005, 8:17 pm   #3
Station X

With the Tuning Capacitor fully meshed the pointer should be at the low frequency or long wavelength end of all wavebands. This applies to all radios.

Graham.
Old 28th Aug 2005, 9:31 pm   #4
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mike and Greg,
I have checked the tuning gang and the vanes are as they should be. Fully meshed, the pointer is at the long wave end of the scale,so there is nothing wrong there. What I am puzzled by, is the direction of rotation of the knob. On some of my other sets turning the knob clockwise increases the wavelength and the pointer moves from left to right. On this set the pointer moves in the opposite direction. I wondered if crossing the cord between the knob shaft and the drive drum could have caused the effect.
There is obviously nothing major wrong so I will probably leave things as they are.
Thanks for reassuring me there is nothing serious.
Old 28th Aug 2005, 10:24 pm   #5
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Hi there are clockwise and anticlockwise variable capacitors I've seen some recently on one of the American suppliers so I guess this set just has one of the anti's HTH.

Mike
Old 28th Aug 2005, 10:39 pm   #6
Station X

Looking at the Service Sheet there's no stringing diagram. However the tuning knob does not appear to be directly connected to the tuning condenser. So there must be scope for wrapping the cord round say the tuning shaft the other way to reverse its sense.

I'm used to clockwise rotation of the tuning knob causing the scale pointer to move from left to right.

Graham.
Old 28th Aug 2005, 11:11 pm   #7
Richard
Heptode

Hi

I have one of these, and the tuning knob/scale is the same as yours.
I bought mine from a couple who were given it as a wedding present, and they said it had never been worked on, so I assume this is how it was when it left the factory.

Richard.
Old 29th Aug 2005, 2:00 pm   #8
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Hi All,
The tuning condenser is perfectly normal and I had the same thoughts as Graham about which way the knob needs to be turned. I too feel it is more natural to turn clockwise for left to right movement of the scale. Looking at the cord it is possible to introduce a twist to change the direction but the cord arrangement as it is is neater. As Richard has one in original condition that also goes the "wrong" way I will leave mine alone as an illustration of a mild oddity.
It is also a coincidence that the speaker is unusually situated on the right of the dial!
Thanks for everyones interest.
Closed Thread