UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Oct 2007, 6:14 pm   #1
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Default New project - Ferguson "Personal" 3629

Hi all

So, Harpenden proved to be massively exciting, many thanks to all of you who took the time to say hello.
I've been under the weather since, unfortunately, in fact I've been off colour since late last year. But I won't bore you with all that...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fergy Telly.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	12896

I bought this telly at Harpenden, I saw one years ago in a book and promised myself that one day I'd get one, problem is, I never did see one until Harpenden, I bought it right away, another guy wanted to buy it to scrap it and use the spares

Anyway, after a couple of hours on a 40 Watt bulb, an hour on a 100Watt bulb then 20 mins or so on a 150 Watt bulb it began to show signs of life !
I applied the full goodness of the mains and the line output stage whistled up: then a collapsed frame stage, so the LOP transformer is all good (Thank god!)
The other interesting, though slightly worrying thing is that the thing whistles like mad on both standards? Any ideas? In fact, the whistling is the same volume just different frequencies when you change the standard switch.
I've only got as far as blowing the muck out and sorting the sound out (dead O/P Valve) so any tips would be greatly recieved.

I love the little set, I don't know what it is, but there you go.

Kind Regards

Dr. Dave
Old 17th Oct 2007, 6:52 pm   #2
Racalfanatic
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: New project

Nice telly Dave
I'd start by replacing all of the capacitors in your timebase circuits. I'd do both frame and line timebases at the same time and check your resistors while you're at it.
All of the heater decoupling capacitors should need changing too. I assume it is a valve set?
It really annoys me when people but really nice tidy stuff to strip for parts
Old 17th Oct 2007, 7:05 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

Especially these, which are worth a bit. It's a 10 inch version of the 900 series, I think. Good sets when they work, and BRC Lopts rarely (if ever) die.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 17th Oct 2007, 7:17 pm   #4
Tazman1966
Nonode

Nice one Dave...and small enough not to annoy the missus!

Mikey405 has one of these and he had a couple of frame faults. Cured by a capacitor replacing spree I think. I'm sure he's got a diagram if you haven't. There's a picture of his set on his website, www.oldtechnology.net in the mono gallery.

Good luck with it and the cabinet looks good too.
Old 17th Oct 2007, 8:48 pm   #5
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Hi Dave,

I'm kicking myself here! I used to have this set, I bought it cheap ten years ago at a flea market when I didn't know anything about the value or how valve TV's worked.
The set is a Ferguson "Personal" 3629 and I think it is in the 1965-66 R+TV service books. These sets use the Thorn "jelly pot" LOPT and it very rarely fails. I seem to remember mine being very whistley on both line standards too.
It uses a BRC 950 chassis from memory, mine had no raster but good sound, it played for hours like this with no other faults. I traced the prob to a shorted boost cap. After replacing it I had full raster but the contrast control had no effect, the picture was at max contrast and smoke started emitting from several resistors, because I knew nothing more I scrapped the set after some time

I would so like to have this set again knowing what I know now!!

Good luck with the resto mate and keep us informed!!

Cheers
Lee
Old 18th Oct 2007, 10:51 am   #6
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunts smoothing bomb View Post
Hi Dave,

It uses a BRC 950 chassis from memory, mine had no raster but good sound, it played for hours like this with no other faults. I traced the prob to a shorted boost cap. After replacing it I had full raster but the contrast control had no effect, the picture was at max contrast and smoke started emitting from several resistors !

Cheers
Lee
That's a great story
Old 18th Oct 2007, 11:06 am   #7
beery
Heptode

Hi Dave,
I've got one of these and it really is the best dual standard small screen set of its time (unlike those KB/STC offerings that don't really work on UHF and the case melts!).
The lack of mains transformer is a real plus. There is a great lopty which shoves loads of EHT and a really high A1 into a tiny tube so it produces lots of light.
The downside is the valve UHF tuner which tends to drift with temperature.

Quote:
in fact I've been off colour since late last year.
Hence your current interest in black and white sets?

Andy
Old 18th Oct 2007, 12:24 pm   #8
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-Watts View Post
Hi all

I've been off colour since late last year. But I won't bore you with all that...

Dr. Dave

I wondered how long it'd take... LOL