UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2007, 10:31 pm   #1
thyratron
Tetrode

Default Nasty fault on an old Ekco

Here is a good one.
Ok, it is an Ekco TGC316. It has a gated vision agc fault. The contrast control seems to have little effect on the picture apart from a slight change in width!
The picture goes negative as the whole video stage gets overdriven at normal signal levels although I can get a good picture by de-tuning or fitting an attenuator in the aerial lead but then there is far too much valve noise/snow and weak sound so I can't get around it that way. I have looked for line pulses on the scope from the line output transformer as far as R90 (120k) but nothing beyond. I have changed all caps in the circuit and most of the resistors. Does anyone have any experiance with these gated agc systems? It is a a real teaser!
Old 4th Oct 2007, 2:38 pm   #2
plaka78
Pentode

Default Re: Nasty fault on an old Ekco

I had a similar fault on a 70s B/W portable (Can’t remember make) from what I can remember it was a 220µF Electrolytic Cap in the AGC cct
Old 4th Oct 2007, 3:05 pm   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Check that 0.1mfd capacitor in the turret tuner. You might recall from other topics on the Ekco TMB272 that the same capacitor causes similar problems in the portable set.

DFWB.
Old 4th Oct 2007, 5:11 pm   #4
thyratron
Tetrode

Thanks,
I have already changed all the capacitors in the set
(apart from the main smoothing bomb) including the one hidden in the tuner.
It is not easy to work on the chassis with it running. I have rigged it up on top of the cabinet with the only two leads left unconnected being the gram plug and the sound output transformer (don't worry I looped the ht back to the anode as the screen is supplied ).
I have not tried changing the video output valve but I have swapped the two double triodes around (one is the cathode follower video) and the two double diode bottles , no change either way.
It is a pig of a fault!
cheers
Michael
Old 4th Oct 2007, 6:14 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

Go back and check your work! It's amazing how many faults are caused by incorrect fitting!!

Then, round the valves and check DC conditions, change any gain affecting resistors, try a new valve rather than swapping them over (you never know!) and then do full realignment.

If any slugs appear to do nothing, look carefully...

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 4th Oct 2007, 6:15 pm   #6
murphyv310
Dekatron

hi.
Have you actually replaced the pulse cap from the loptx for the agc, it goes faulty under load, but will check ok i think its a 120pf or 60pf depends on the production date.
trevor
Old 4th Oct 2007, 9:55 pm   #7
thyratron
Tetrode

Yes , that was one of the first suspects. I have popped a nice 3kv 120pF disc in place of the original.
It looks like I will have to go valves next.
In the old days we always used to go VALVES FIRST it was so easy.
Because we are moving soon I have packed hundreds of spare TV valves into a depository 15 miles away!
Somehow I don't think it will help.
many thanks for these good tips.
Michael
Old 9th Oct 2007, 9:48 pm   #8
thyratron
Tetrode

SOLUTION:
Would you believe it! This one had me really thinking it was time to hang up the soldering iron for ever.
The thing that really got me was the set worked and all the voltages seemed to check out, but by disconnecting various stages, I deduced that the voltage on V7b cathode was too high by about 50 volts for the stage to rectify the line pulses/back porch signal.

I found that the connection between C92 and R90 is made on pin 1 of the line output valve; a spare, unused pin. Unused if it is the right valve! The set had a PL36 in it rather than a 30P4 and because it was in it when I bought the set, I assumed it was an equivalent.

The PL36 has an IC (internal connection) on pin one to the screen. This was not too dissimilar to the voltage that was required at the junction and not enough difference to cause any damage. I lifted the joint away from the valve and it works a treat!

Perhaps this was an old repair attempt when the old 30P4 died, and when the set started up again with a negative picture the set was written off!
Anyway job done and a lesson or two there I think!

Took about 6 hours to find this . In the old days at the bench, we would have gone for a pint after a set like that!
regards to all.
Michael
Old 9th Oct 2007, 10:30 pm   #9
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Just a quick note from me - WELL DONE! - it would have took me hours to trace that out, and illustrates the point both Mullard and Mazda made in their Valve Data Books about leaving valve-base connections annotated as i.c. blank - you do not know for *certain* what part of the electrode system a pin so marked is connected to, and therefore you won't easily guess what unrelated parts of circuitry you've inadvertently coupled together if you use an (i.c.) as an anchor-point, and too many setmakers have made that howler as you found!

Well done!

Chris Williams
Old 10th Oct 2007, 8:25 am   #10
thyratron
Tetrode

I will post some pictures soon.

P.S. Of course the biggest clue was there all the time. As I said at the start the contrast control was slightly affecting the width.
(just bringing it in by about half an inch with the control at full contrast and still giving a little more gain as there was a trace of agc working).
I had put this down to some interaction between the line pulse integrator circuit and the way it is connected to the contrast control. Of course it was actually changing the line output screen voltage by +/- 10 volts !
Of I had had spare valves around I might have got there earlier but why change a line O/P valve that gives full width?
cheers once again!
Closed Thread