UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2019, 10:55 am   #21
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Can anyone identify the set in this picture?

Typing the incoming Morse message?
Old 10th Apr 2019, 3:46 pm   #22
thx1138
Tetrode

Hi,

just a heads up re that set. Military archives have turned up a blank, more that perhaps the paperwork is so buried. Dept of Finance have documents as to the purchase but again no info re the Model. All that keeps coming up is "The PYE SET" in the archives. I had hoped something more but my friend is fully aware and mil archives aware this is a rare find. Hopefully something will turn up. Oh also, there was purchase of 140 total. So that's all I know that were made.

73s David

Last edited by thx1138; 10th Apr 2019 at 3:57 pm.
Old 11th Apr 2019, 8:02 am   #23
trh01uk
Octode

David,

perhaps you could be a bit more specific and tell us exactly which "military archives" you are looking in? What is this "Dept of Finance" you refer to? What part of these archives keeps on mentioning "The PYE SET"? In what context are those "mentions" made?

You say 140 were purchased. OK - who purchased them? When was the purchase made?

More information will doubtless start to bring answers.

Richard
Old 11th Apr 2019, 8:09 am   #24
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: Can anyone identify this set in picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post
Hi, found more info. Its Irish uniform..
"
That is std issue Irish army bulls wool uniform which in use to 1961! Sgt, 4 Brigade, 2nd Division."

Go figure, maby its a modified or custom radio ? Ive also never seen anything similar.
So if it's Irish Army uniform, we should be asking what radios the Irish Army was using prior to 1961? Strangely I've never come across any mention of the radios used by the Irish Army - ever. And I've been aware of British Army radios since 1970s, so that's quite a long time never to have heard anything about the Irish angle.

As an aside, I've sold lots of military comms equipment on the usual auction sites, so in principle some of it could have gone to The Republic of Ireland. But it never has. No collectors there? No interest in British military radios? Perhaps. Possibly that they have their own stuff to collect instead?

Richard
Old 11th Apr 2019, 6:39 pm   #25
thx1138
Tetrode

My colleague has been working in the Irish Dept of Finance archives and the military archives in Ireland. I have seen some documents in relation to this radios purchase sent on to me and some correspondance with respect to the 140 sets built by Pye in that photograph, including some remark about additional cases and so on.

Unsuprisingly Irish army used the C12 sets in Congo and also some 19 sets and 38 sets. Clearly the UK was a natural source for such equipment. I have also seen documentation in relation to such equipment. However the sets in question which have been 100% established as purchased from PYE in Dublin in 1943 are still a mystery as to the spec and model or type. There's more files to dig through and it's not so easy to do so quickly.

Last edited by thx1138; 11th Apr 2019 at 6:52 pm.
Old 11th Apr 2019, 7:59 pm   #26
thx1138
Tetrode

Quote:
we should be asking what radios the Irish Army was using prior to 1961? Strangely I've never come across any mention of the radios used by the Irish Army - ever. And I've been aware of British Army radios since 1970s, so that's quite a long time never to have heard anything about the Irish angle.
Probably as it hasn't been really raised here with such interest in what was used in Ireland. Though if you do a search online there is at least one other forum discussing what was utilised up to 1970's.

The photo supplied is straight from Irish Army archives and I have even the actual price the state paid for each set, hence the Dept of Finance documents. ie govt archive. If a blueprint or some reference to this model turns up, be assured it will be posted here. Provided my colleague is allowed to do so. I am only passing on what we know.

Last edited by thx1138; 11th Apr 2019 at 8:23 pm.
Old 12th Apr 2019, 11:07 am   #27
trh01uk
Octode

Yes, I did look up other mentions of what the Irish Army was using. It refers to sets well after WWII of course, and to my eyes the set in the photo is probably pre-WWII. That's purely a guess of course, but sets from different eras do have a distinct "look" about them. That one to me looks like its from the 1930s at the latest - though possibly sold and used during WWII.

Sets like the WS19, WS38 and C12 have layout and knobs styles rather different to the one pictured. Its conceivable it's from the same era/designer as the WS8/WS18/WS28/WS68 series of sets.

Richard
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 11:37 am   #28
thx1138
Tetrode

My contact in the defence forces archives realise its quite unique, another meeting was had and among other things the set was raised. Whats evident is in that photo, despite it being not the sharpest, there is no ZAxxxxx plate on it. Believe me, there is an ongoing search in 2 places regarding the documentation around it. Takes time as it depends when the file was closed which no joke could beup to the late 50s. Its in among other stuff. I have someone on it for sure. given 140 were only made, the chance of anything surviving is nil, but maby some documents do exist in a file.. The search goes on.
Old 27th Apr 2019, 7:44 am   #29
trh01uk
Octode

When you say "there is no ZAxxxxx plate on it" - how can you be sure?

There is a plate, just to the right of the headphone jack. Its unreadable on the picture you have posted here, but if you can be sure it doesn't have a ZA number on it, presumably you are able to read it? What does it actually say?

Richard
Closed Thread