UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2019, 4:35 pm   #21
hans
Heptode

Default Re: VCR calendar running out

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
The older VCRs effectively had a perpetual calendar. This was because they did not keep track of the date as such; only the day of the week (programmes could be set up to two weeks in advance). So to record a programme being shown next Wednesday, you just selected "Wed"; to record a programme the Wednesday after next, you selected "2nd Wed".
The Akai VS 4/6 from the early/mid 80's ran out before the new milennium. (Can't remember exactly when, but it was a problem selling an obsolete vcr.)
Old 18th Feb 2019, 5:07 pm   #22
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have just checked the two I have in use (normally I don't set the date or time as they are only used for playback so it doesn't matter if they show --:--).

Philips VR840 has two digit year which has to be keyed in and can't be set above 17. Whether Funai or real Philips it is actually a very good machine and plays worn tapes better than most (especially the hi-fi sound).

Akai VS-G796 has a two digit year that can be set with up/down keys to anything from 00 to 99 but I don't know where the 19** to 20** threshold is. I could look up the weekday of 1st Jan in different years to work it out but its not worth the bother.

My JVC HR-J665 is not currently set up for use.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 18th Feb 2019, 5:58 pm   #23
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
The VR610 is a Philips made model from around the turn of the century. The combo is Funai made, probably between 2003 and 2005. Funai sqeezed every 1000th of a penny out of their designs, while Philips probably saved only on pennies or 10ths of pennies...
The funny thing about Funai is their TV-VCR combos were terrible, while their TV only models weren't too bad. Their VCR's weren't the greatest performers, but they seemed to last OK.
Funai products were badged, Magnavox, Philips, Sylvania Durabrand and a few department store labels.
Closed Thread