UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Feb 2019, 11:37 pm   #1
Semir_DE
Tetrode

Default PAM 800F 405 line TV

Hi everyone,

As I am in the process of assembling a Hedghog converter I wanted to get a 405 line TV to be able to test it, so today I got a "PAM 800F" TV set from an eBay auction. It is located in London but a colleague of mine will bring it to Germany sometime this year or so is the plan...

Since it will be some time before it can make the trip over here I would like to familiarize myself with the circuit of this TV set. Oddly this model does not appear anywhere if I search for it. I have also checked the "Vintage Radio Service Data" site and it is not listed there either.

Does anybody here know this set? Perhaps the previous owner had made a mistake with the model designation when putting it on eBay or might this be a very rare prototype? I have seen that there are PAM 801 and 802 models. I have attached a few images of the TV.

------------
Semir
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PAM800F-Front-c.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	177613   Click image for larger version

Name:	PAM800F-Rear-c.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	177614   Click image for larger version

Name:	PAM800F-Side-c.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	177615  
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 11:54 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: PAM 800F 405 line TV

PAM is a derivative of either Pye or Philips (PAM became the second brand of Pye and Pye itself later became part of Philips). I can't find any information on a PAM 800F either. All I can tell you is that the 'F' probably means 'Fringe'....in other words, it was designed to operate on the limit of the reception area so has greater sensitivity. This could mean it has an extra IF amplifier and possibly modifications to the sync circuitry. Looking at those photos, it looks very Philips.....
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 2:08 am   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Practical TV have a servicing article on the Pye V210 series which it states uses a similar chassis to the Pam 800.
Has Sideband states the F usually refers to a fringe area model with possible circuit changes for flywheel sync, extra gain etc.
The articles are a series which are usually in consecutive editions, the first one.
https://www.americanradiohistory.com...on-1967-08.pdf
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 2:25 am   #4
FERNSEH
Dekatron

According to the information in the 1960/61 Radio and Television servicing book it's likely that the Pam 800F is electrically identical to the Pye V510. The receivers are high performance models made for use in fringe reception areas. The sets can be identified by having two vertical printed circuit boards.

Pam 800 uses a different chassis having a single vertical printed circuit board. Very basic circuit design. Mean level vision AGC and direct line sync.

DFWB.
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 2:37 am   #5
Semir_DE
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Practical TV have a servicing article on the Pye V210 series which it states uses a similar chassis to the Pam 800.
Hi Frank,

thank you for pointing me to these articles. I've downloaded them and noticed that they were written by Les Lawry-Johns. This brings up memories of his many articles in the "Television" magazine that I loved reading...
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 9:06 am   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
According to the information in the 1960/61 Radio and Television servicing book it's likely that the Pam 800F is electrically identical to the Pye V510. The receivers are high performance models made for use in fringe reception areas. The sets can be identified by having two vertical printed circuit boards.

DFWB.
I did wonder when I saw the control layout in PT and the back of the TV shown in post #1.
So similar to the V510.
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 10:22 am   #7
mark pirate
Dekatron

Hi Semir, I restored one of these sets (pam 600F, not 800F) a while back, the details are here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=92888

The set is based on a Pye chassis, the 'F' in the model No means it is a fringe reception set.
I am sure you will be impressed with it once restored, they give an excellent picture via the Polaroid implosion screen.

Mark
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 7:19 pm   #8
akuram1
Pentode

Looks like a 600F to me. We had loads.
Old 4th Feb 2019, 12:37 pm   #9
davidh1041
Pentode

Here are some pictures of the insides of the Pam. I cant make out from the chassie plate if it's 600F or 800F. I have no 405 line signal source here in London, but as usaul, the Mullard CRT is still as bright as the day it left the factory.
Look after it there in Germany please, it's a nice set.
Regards David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1524.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	177699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1525.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	177700   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1528.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	177701  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 9:40 pm   #10
Semir_DE
Tetrode

Hello Folks,

well I have to apologize to everyone here who had jumped in to help with information about this TV...

As it turns out the winning (and only) bid for it was not made by my colleague in London as he confessed to me this morning. I guess by assuming this I had jinxed the whole thing. So it's back to square one for me. Next time I will keep quiet though and wait until the TV is actually physically on my workbench.

Can I kindly ask the administrators to close this thread?

Semir
Closed Thread