UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2018, 3:39 pm   #1
aledrhysrosser
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ekco A239 tuning problem

So, I am in no way a radio expert or enthusiast. But I am hoping to find some help. I've recently inherited an Ekco A239 from my Grandmother. The radio could pick up many stations at her house, but as soon as I tried to set it up at my house I could only tune into 2 or 3 stations. I have no idea what the problem is, the radio seems in good condition and all the knobs work properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 13th Aug 2018, 4:49 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Ekco A239 tuning problem

Are you talking about AM or FM?

This radio uses an internal ferrite rod aerial for AM which is directional. Try rotating it. For FM, you will need an external aerial. Your gran probably had one on the chimney, but a Poundland telescopic aerial will be better than nothing.
Old 13th Aug 2018, 4:53 pm   #3
aledrhysrosser
Retired Dormant Member

Talking about FM. Thank you very much. Been a massive help!

Hi Paul, being a complete newbie at this, how would I connect the aeriel to the radio?

Thanks
Old 13th Aug 2018, 9:02 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

List of BBC transmitters, depending which you are receiving some are very low power, that will govern what type of aerial you use.
Certainly try simple ones first.
https://downloads.bbc.co.uk/receptio...Walestrans.pdf
Old 13th Aug 2018, 9:35 pm   #5
paulsherwin

At a guess there will be two sockets for the FM aerial. To get going you can connect a couple of feet of wire to one of the sockets - hold it in with a matchstick.

The Poundland aerial has two telescopic rods on a stand, with a metre or so of coaxial cable terminated with a plug. Cut the plug off, strip back about an inch of the outer insulation, pull the screening layer away and twist it together to form a wire, strip back about a quarter inch of the inner insulation to expose the inner wire, and connect the screening and inner wire to the two sockets.

This may not give good results if you live in a weak signal area, in which case you will need something more sophisticated, but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

Remember that the FM coverage on this set only goes up to 100MHz - this is normal for radios of that era.
Old 13th Aug 2018, 9:45 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Correction - looking at a picture of the back on the net, it actually looks as if this set uses a standard Belling-Lee coax socket for the FM aerial, like a TV. If this is so then the Poundland aerial will just plug in - no need to cut the plug off. You could also try plugging in your TV aerial.
Closed Thread