UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2014, 10:26 pm   #1
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Vintage TV on offer. What should I do?

OK, I have been offered the chance to purchase this set - sight unseen, details unknown. The owner is getting back to me with (hopefully) the make/model but I thought I'd pre-empt their effort and ask the opinion of forum members.

Is this a set worthy of full restoration? Is it a TV or a TV/Radio combo? Does anyone recognise the make/model? Value? (in terms of what I should expect to pay for such an item).

This is my first excursion into TV restoration but I'm struck by its looks and appeal - maybe that's all I NEED to be

TIA

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	90398  
Old 20th Mar 2014, 11:13 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage TV on offer. What should I do?

I can't help with the make, but it certainly looks worthy of restoration.
I am sure it dates around 1955, the radio has a German look to it, there appears to be a magic eye as well, I would think it also has FM on it.
It certainly looks in nice condition.
I would think it is worth in the region of £60 - £100.

Mark
Old 20th Mar 2014, 11:34 pm   #3
Hendrik
Diode

It's a East German Clivia II made by RFT. Look here for further info: https://www.google.com/search?q=rft+clivia&hl=de

Cheers Hendrik
Old 21st Mar 2014, 12:14 am   #4
1955APREN
Hexode

Cool Re: Vintage TV on offer. What should I do?

Hi
Like Mark I do not recognize this unit, but the radio does look continental possible grundig , normady or possible phillips although the knobs on the tv do not look phillips. If it is from the continent it might be a 625 line vhf tv, and if it french it could be 819 line with a vhf. If the tube is ok then it should be a nice project to work on . Do not plug this set in until you have had a good look inside and cheeked for shorts on ht line and removed the mains filter capacitor
across the mains supply (see other threads on this forum regarding THE Capacitor). Hope you will be able to purchase this unit for a good price, and look forward to hearing more about it and when you get first light on it. If you require more help please let us know via this forum as i know that lots of us would be willing to help.
regards Derrick
Old 21st Mar 2014, 12:35 am   #5
kellys_eye
Octode

Mark - my guess was in that area so at least I won't feel as if I'm taking advantage of the seller.

Hendrik - thank you for that information and link.

Derrick - although I'm new to vintage restoration I have many years of electronics experience behind me but am always happy to take advice on specific subjects. I confess to being 'rusty' on valve TVs but will, if I go through with the purchase, post my progress and seek the advice of more experienced members.

Thanks
Old 21st Mar 2014, 1:51 am   #6
paulsherwin

It isn't clear if you're aware of this, but this TV will require considerable restoration if it's in original condition assuming you don't just want it as a static exhibit. A radio / TV combination is a major restoration undertaking for a beginner, especially something from the former GDR.

You will ultimately need to provide it with a signal, and while it will be a 625 line set so won't require a standards converter, it may be difficult to source a suitable modulator.
Old 21st Mar 2014, 4:09 am   #7
Restoration73
Nonode

An old system B/G VHS recorder may provide a modulator, or one of the UHF-VHF
frequency changers (e.g. Labgear etc) Being pre-1965 this may
feature the early OIRT channels including I-IV Band I and Ch.1 with the vision carrier
at 145.25MHz!
Old 21st Mar 2014, 7:48 am   #8
German Dalek
Hexode

Just as I told you yesterday in the US-forum it is an east-german product.
East-Germany was using CCIR since the late 50s I think, have the right date not present.
But you can be sure that it will work with a PAL converter.
Don`t worry!

Best regards,

German Dalek

MARC BOLAN, he was/is the real king of Pop Music!
Old 21st Mar 2014, 10:28 am   #9
kellys_eye
Octode

Generating a signal is the easy part - I thought it was going to be 405 line and was contemplating knocking out a standards converter to allow it to be used with a standard AV signal from my freesat box! I have a few old UHF modulators lying around to re-purpose so I'm pretty much covered in all areas.

Paul - I'm new to restoration but far from inexperienced in electronics. I relish a challenge but always keep an eye open for alternative opportunities if the restoration turns out to be either a non-starter or impractical for any reason. Absolute worst case it would at least provide parts for someone else to do a restoration (I say this as the TV/Radio is sight-unseen at the moment and may be beyond practical recovery).

Should know a lot more by Monday. Will post updates as soon as I can.

Thanks to all who've taken the trouble to reply.
Old 21st Mar 2014, 10:46 am   #10
Barry Lloyd
Retired Dormant Member

This could be a useful link: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sachsen...58a_fer_8.html

As it's monochrome there will be no need to convert colour from PAL to SECAM.
On one of the thumbnails of the service sheet there is a reference to frequencies of 208 and 216 MHz, so it looks like a VHF set - i.e. System B.

Barry
Old 21st Mar 2014, 12:02 pm   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

At a £100 its cheap, considering now what nice consoles are fetching. My workshop has a GEC console in awaiting restoration with a nice condition cabinet and that cost the person £150.
Old 24th Mar 2014, 10:51 pm   #12
kellys_eye
Octode

Update

With grateful thanks to Duke_Nukem (member) his warning of a potential scam was a timely reminder to do some checking......

....and such checks revealed the 'seller' being a US-based email address but purporting to be selling the TV/radio combo from a Scottish location. Whether or not the scammer missed the fact that I'm BASED here seems to have shut the whole deal down as my offer to pay cash-on-inspection certainly shut them up!

Sigh..... serves me right for being optimistic.

Next....
Old 24th Mar 2014, 11:23 pm   #13
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Also based here, did not know of a scam on old TV's! Still, see my previous comments re price.
Old 24th Mar 2014, 11:46 pm   #14
TrevorM6TSE
Heptode

Blimey, there is no end to what scammers do. OT - I've noticed that now I'm seeking employment on linkedin I seem to get a lot of scam links etc.

Thanks for the heads up on this though. I'd have never thought this happened in niche collecting markets. One for us all to watch.

Cheers,

Trev
Old 25th Mar 2014, 12:04 am   #15
Radio Wrangler

I've just had a read down this thread (not really being a telly type) and I looked at the site Hendrik cited, scrolled down the google images page.... and came across the very photo Kelly's Eye had attached. The skirting board and the floor tiles match perfectly.

I suppose this is the source of the photo the scammer used.

David
Old 25th Mar 2014, 10:44 am   #16
Station X

As this thread actually relates to a scam I'll close it.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread