UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Feb 2019, 8:08 pm   #21
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Freeview feeding signal to VCR issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
A lot of your troubles seem to be because you are going into things with incomplete kit! The freeview box will undoubtedly need tuning in since it's now operating in a different area. For that you WILL need the correct remote or at least one that properly operates the tuning and menu functions. Get that sorted out first.

You need to understand that SCART video connections are standard and the video level is industry standard. So if it has video output on SCART it will be at standard level and will work with any other SCART input. Also that SCART is nothing whatsoever to do with aerial input. Take one thing at a time
I do do that, mainly because of costs, as I don't have too much money to spend, I'll message the seller to see if they have the remote, or if not, I can get a refund and find one with a remote, if I cannot find a compatible remote.

With the SCART, I understand that, I think there has just been some confusion in the way I first understood it, and the way I've written it.

Thanks
Old 10th Feb 2019, 8:09 pm   #22
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
It's me that needs to apologise this time, I've amended post #17. Fourth page of the PDF.
No problem, I was a little confused when I read it and it was talking about candles? (Whatever that was about)

Thanks
Old 10th Feb 2019, 8:10 pm   #23
19Seventy7
Octode

I've now read it, and it makes a lot more sense, I shall look into finding a remote that works.

Thanks
Old 10th Feb 2019, 9:54 pm   #24
Clydeuk
Hexode

Why not look on your local Freecycle/Freegle (or post a Wanted ad) for another Freeview box?

These things were everywhere a few years ago, but are rarely needed these days as more people have ditched their old analogue sets.

The other possibility is car boot sales. When I last went to one there were almost as many old Freeview boxes as Footspa's.

Every box I've seen over the years needed the remote to access anything other than power and channel change. As mentioned, you will need to retune regularly.

A lot of Freeview boxes were made by Vestel with various badges so there may be some interchange with remotes, though you'd need to "suck it and see". Again, car boot sales can be good places to find remote controls, often the sellers don't know what they're for and you can usually get them for a quid or less.
Old 10th Feb 2019, 10:35 pm   #25
19Seventy7
Octode

Okay thank you.

I'll look now, I can look in my local charity shops, I know a few of them have some electronics, mainly CD players, but they might have others - I've never really looked properly

I've messaged the previous owner to see if they still have the original remote for whatever reason, fingers crossed they do.

My FV box is from Silvercrest, which I think is a Lidl's own.

Thanks
Old 10th Feb 2019, 10:47 pm   #26
ben
Dekatron

Do yourself a favour, go for a Goodmans GDR11 freeview box off ebay, these have inbuilt modulators so no need to mess about with a video etc.
Old 10th Feb 2019, 11:58 pm   #27
19Seventy7
Octode

Thank you, I'll look into one as they seem fairly cheap, too.

Could definitely do without the hassle of interchanging a single SCART cable and coax in such a tight space to the appropriate sources and the VCR.

Thanks
Old 11th Feb 2019, 12:42 am   #28
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
My FV box is from Silvercrest, which I think is a Lidl's own.

Thanks
It is Lidl's own. It is NOT a Freeview box. It is a generic DVB-T box. The remote is unique, so you need the correct one. The signal overload refers to a short (at DC) on the aerial input as the 5v aerial amplifier is turned on. You need the remote to turn it off.
Old 11th Feb 2019, 3:19 pm   #29
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston_1 View Post

It is Lidl's own. It is NOT a Freeview box. It is a generic DVB-T box. The remote is unique, so you need the correct one. The signal overload refers to a short (at DC) on the aerial input as the 5v aerial amplifier is turned on. You need the remote to turn it off.
Just to explain further, the box will work with Freeview, but it won't display the EPG (programme guide). Now & Next will work (I think), Also the channel numbering (LCNs) won't be as expected unless you edit them.

Just why Lidl thought a generic digital terrestrial box was a good idea is anyone's guess, I can see the point of a generic D-Sat receiver as quite a lot of people watch services from Hotbird and Astra 19.2, and incidentally most of the staff and many of the customers at my local Lidl are Polish.
Old 11th Feb 2019, 3:56 pm   #30
kan_turk
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Just why Lidl thought a generic digital terrestrial box was a good idea is anyone's guess, I can see the point of a generic D-Sat receiver as quite a lot of people watch services from Hotbird and Astra 19.2, and incidentally most of the staff and many of the customers at my local Lidl are Polish.
The answer to that is quite simple - Lidl, and many other similar global operators, see no economic sense in marketing a product which has a very limited target region but instead market products with the widest geographical application - in this case pan-european & beyond - it’s driven by volume and profit margin coupled with low sale price - Freeview and Freesat, whatever their merits, are limited to a very small geographical area
Old 11th Feb 2019, 7:47 pm   #31
19Seventy7
Octode

So this wont receive proper FV?

I'll probably be sending it back and getting a refund and then buy a Goodmans GDR11, as Ben suggested - much better for me.

I never realised that receivers etc weren't FV, and I'm not going to lie, I didn't really know they existed, I may have seen some, but I would've just assumed them to be FV.

What do these receivers do if they're not FV?

Thanks
Old 11th Feb 2019, 8:31 pm   #32
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Graham and Kan Turk are saying that you bought a Generic Receiver that could be potentially ok for Freeview INH but is primarily designed to work in a number of different world situations. It is not as easy to operate as a dedicated Freeview domestic box that's only meant for the UK. Almost any actual FV box would have been better really. Would it be fair to say that you also seem to have a particular problem with processing some of the information given out here I wonder? Sometimes you seem to start from the end or the middle and work backwards, which then makes you more confused eg not having the right kit or actually absorbing the info in the first place. Is there any truth in this?

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 11th Feb 2019 at 8:45 pm.
Old 11th Feb 2019, 8:39 pm   #33
19Seventy7
Octode

Oh alright, I understand now. That makes sense considering it's a German brand, in a British market, with their own German market so it needs to work in both I suppose.

That's quite fair to say, to be honest, I do sometimes struggle with processing, it usually takes me a little while with a few re-reads to let it sink in - especially with the more technical stuff which I'm not used to - Sorry about that.

Thanks
Old 11th Feb 2019, 9:14 pm   #34
dave walsh
Dekatron

No need to apologise INH but it may help more if you can find someone who could advise or mentor you on a one to one basis. Online communication has its drawbacks and being shown how to proceed in person can be much more successful than trying to describe things in print or even by video. There is a shortage of instruction venues nationally but [in London especially] you may be able to find one of these new volunteer repair workshops/hobby groups or a radio/electronics club that would be able to offer some direct help. Those Clubs are always looking for new members on a technical and social level.

In the past, many people would do this as the first step and receive a lot of help and encouragement. Combining that with the Forum may be a good way forward for you. At the moment you are restricted to just asking questions here which may not be so good in itself. I hope this helps.

Dave
Old 11th Feb 2019, 9:18 pm   #35
AC/HL
Dekatron

No need to be sorry, no-one was born with this knowledge, or any other for that matter. Recognising the situation is most of the answer, it's those who don't who are lost causes!
Old 11th Feb 2019, 9:37 pm   #36
19Seventy7
Octode

I think that would help a lot to be honest, especially if working on a project, every little tiny detail can be seen one to one than online. I agree completely about the drawbacks with online use.

Though I have learnt a lot from this forum from record players to TVs. (I know I'm no where near experienced and knowledgeable on TVs as many members on here, but I am a lot more than I was three months ago!)

Finding a club or something might be a bit tricky getting to though, as I'm not actually in London, but relatively close by, so I thought it'd be best for London as it's better known.

That doesn't mean I won't look though! I'd definitely be interested in something like that.

AC/HL - I think sometimes what causes confusion is the difference between the knowledge between me (and I'm sure others too) and those experienced on this forum, it's a large gap in between and so some confusion is bound to occur. Once I get to know terms etc, I find it much easier.

I usually get what's meant, somehow, even if it isn't exact

Thanks
Old 12th Feb 2019, 1:31 am   #37
dave walsh
Dekatron

Your response is very encouraging INH but not actually being in London sort of makes my point re misinformation that only emerges slowly and confusingly. You can at least ID your local Amateur Radio Society for us [I'm sure there will be one] without revealing any personal information. Someone on here might also be a local Radio Society member and they may respond or not.
Nothing to lose either way but lots to gain I think! It's about having confidence but people who are not so genuine as you [or really don't listen] usually don't attract Forum support in this way!

Dave
Old 12th Feb 2019, 2:39 am   #38
19Seventy7
Octode

Sorry about that, i thought putting London would be easier for the general location as London is the nearest known place. I’m in Essex, so Essex ham is my local which offers training. I think there was one in my town but it looks to have unfortunately shut down - I’ll look into both and go from there!

As you say, nothing to lose.

And i do really geniunely enjoy the older tech and such (I love the whole retro/vintage era, generally) I have to thank the people on this forum as i wouldn’t know nearly as much as i do now. I’ve learnt so much in the few months i’ve been on this forum.

Thanks
Old 12th Feb 2019, 2:47 am   #39
dave walsh
Dekatron

OK let us know how you get on! If you look at the recent Aspect Ratio thread it's evident that there was something there that I really didn't grasp! As Bill said it's all about being aware!

Dave
Old 12th Feb 2019, 9:44 am   #40
19Seventy7
Octode

I will do!

Thats true, i suppose you have to be aware for you to realise whats being spoken about, if you arent aware, then you wont have a clue. The level of awareness = the level of understanding.

Thanks
Closed Thread