UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2019, 4:01 pm   #1
kevrobert
Diode

Default Ferguson 416T 1957

I have been lucky enough to aquire this vintage set which was put away in 1960 and never used again. Now I just need to get it working! I am somewhat of newbie with vintage electronics!

OK, so after initial cleaning, inspection and then powering up I had a nice band across the centre, see photo. I proceeded firstly to change the two large wax paper caps rated 0.1 uF 300V to polypropelene 0.1 uF 400V. This does not seem to have helped as I no longer have a band across the screen. My horizontal lock appears to be functioning as the change in tone is easily identifiable. The vertical lock and limiter appears to have no effect with regards to any audible noise. All diode valves appear operational in that they light up and I was able to swoop the vertical and horizontal diodes to ascertain that both function.

If possible some pointers now for next steps would be much appreciated. I am in Kent if any fellow restorers are nearby.

Thanks, Kevin.
Old 31st Jan 2019, 4:51 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 416T 1957

Newbie at vintage electronics, have you any electronics experience? If you have you should be able to use that to quickly learn about the circuits used in the set, if not, it is a steep curve.
Need to post the photos.
Old 1st Feb 2019, 1:29 am   #3
kevrobert
Diode

first two photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1E7257CC-68C6-40DD-A972-017190F7DC6E.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	177484   Click image for larger version

Name:	025EEF40-01FC-45B4-9D47-51D6AB85C656.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	177485  
Old 1st Feb 2019, 10:42 am   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

First of all, turn the brightness down to a low level or you will burn a line on the brilliant AW43-80 CRT. It would be advisable to snip C113 and C112, the mains and heater filter capacitors before you progress further. These tend to go S/C with a bang and frighten the life out of you! The chassis will run without them.

Simple reliable circuits. You will need a circuit to get it going reliably. I have scanned the 400 series circuit and high lighted a few suspect components. You will need to check the voltage on pin 6 of the PCL82. I have had a couple of frame output transformer primaries go O/C.
All wax caps will require replacement and I would suggest you do these one at a time. The hinged printed panels can be a bit awkward. The triode section of the PCL84 forms the other half of the frame oscillator. Check the height pot. It may be O/C.
Hope you get it working OK. They give a stunning picture. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	416T.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	177491  
Old 1st Feb 2019, 6:31 pm   #5
kevrobert
Diode

Thankyou very much John for your reply I will work my way through those areas
will post some more questions and photos tomorrow, thanks again Kevin.
Closed Thread