UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2018, 4:42 pm   #1
avocollector
Heptode

Default Sinclair FSTV repair hints??

I have one of those flat screen Sinclair TV's from the early 70's - the ones that used to run on special lithium batteries and had the 2 inch screen. it is as dead as the proverbial dodo so I'm wondering if there are any hints, cunning tricks or known ways to track down the fault. So far I've plugged in a suitable power supply and it's still dead.

For example with the old valve TV's I recall you could often hear line screen whistle at the back that told you the eht was working, while loss of horizontal hold was due usually to one specific valve and associated capacitors.

Anyway thanks for your time and any suggestions. I do have a circuit diagram.
Old 30th Oct 2018, 5:00 pm   #2

Default Re: Sinclair FSTV repair hints??

I worked for Clive just after the FTV era and had loads of them, somewhere in my head lurks the thought that the power connector is + to the outside. Just looked up the circuit online, seems I am right.

Old 30th Oct 2018, 5:12 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Sinclair FSTV repair hints??

Before applying power make sure the set is absolutely dry no traces of moisture. I powered up a similar set that had been stored in the garage, (it took 6x AA batteries) I was met with a fizz, the smell of ozone and a blank screen from a previously working set.

John.
Closed Thread