UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Oct 2018, 1:28 pm   #1
clivemd
Triode

Default Help valuing late father's TVs, Valve tester and lots of service info

Hi all,

Firstly thanks to Moderator Bill for allowing me to post and hopefully subsequently sell here without being a regular contributor. Sadly I'm in the process of trying to find good homes for items my father had either restored or was working on and other related vintage servicing items. He was a BVWS member and I know he'd want them to go to someone who would appreciate them rather than going on eBay or whatever, so all advice welcome.

The main items are:

* Ekco TMB 272. This was my father's last completed restoration project and at the time of his death in April 2017 was I believe in good working order and I myself saw it working via an Aurora standards converter shortly before that. It is in apparently excellent cosmetic condition.

* Bush TV22. This has the back off was found connected (but switched off!) to power and VHF so appears to have been in process of being refurbished at the time of his death. Found with some service manuals.

* Mullard High Speed Valve Tester Mk3. Looking at available paperwork this appears to have been serviced in 2016. There are two large metal boxes of tester cards. I haven't counted them but the numbering suggests there could be approaching 1200 cards. Also appears to be spare bases, spare valves and various items of original paperwork.

* Thousands of service sheets, all carefully organised in folders. e.g.
- Wireless Trader 201 (April '37) to Wireless & Electrical Trader 1661 (July '64)
- British Radio & Television R11 (Dec '50) to R441 (Dec '81)
- Various other folders of carefully organised service sheets and indexes from '40s onwards.

* Also many Radio & Television servicing books.

* There are various other misc. items such as a working stock of tested valves, Aurora standards converter a variac.

Please provide any advice or comments you may have. Although I want it all to go to good homes, I'm very interested in advice about all the service sheets and books. I don't believe that those sets are absolutely complete but I don't think they are far off and this seems like potentially a great resource that should not just be recycled (or you might tell me these collections are very common of course!).

I've attached a few images to give an idea. More available to anyone that needs more details in order to comment.

Many thanks, Clive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180804_144125128_iOS.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	171577   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170528_183044541_iOS.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	171578   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170528_183101529_iOS.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	171579   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181014_173610654_iOS.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	171580   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5177.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	171581  

Old 26th Oct 2018, 6:54 pm   #2
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Re: Help valuing late father's TVs, Valve tester and lots of service info

He sounded terribly methodical in his work, I have been in the same trade for 50 years and amassed quite a few items. E-Bay (to me) is not the same as the folk on here. Good luck in your aims on here.
Tony Walker
Old 26th Oct 2018, 8:50 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Help valuing late father's TVs, Valve tester and lots of service info

In addition, I have to say I find photo 2 quite poignant.
Old 26th Oct 2018, 9:35 pm   #4
m0cemdave
Octode

The BVWS have regular auctions of equipment at Harpenden, (possibly not far from you).

Only members can bid on the auctions, so they usually go to active collectors rather than internet traders or speculators.

They are quite used to dealing with situations similar to yours, so it might be a good idea to contact them for details.
Old 26th Oct 2018, 10:26 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I would second the idea of selling through a BVWS auction. That way they stand the best chance of realising the value they hold to genuine collectors.
Old 26th Oct 2018, 11:00 pm   #6
1100 man
Octode

Hi Clive,
That Ekco TV looks to be in beautiful condition and is obviously a credit to your father's restoration skills- looks like it has just come out of the box!

In purely financial terms, Ebay would yield the most money but as has been said a BVWS auction will tend to ensure that the items go to people who value them for what they are, rather than what they are worth!

Selling items on this forum also tends to reach enthusiasts, some of whom are also BVWS members, but you would need to specify a price for each item which is not that easy to come up with.

Good luck with whatever route you choose,

All the best
Nick
Old 27th Oct 2018, 11:03 pm   #7
Michael Maurice

If you wanted to sell them directly then I’d be interested in acquiring the service sheets, what I would do is to put them into PDF format so that Paul Stenning (The owner of this site) can put them on the website and his discs.

The money he makes from the sales go towards funding and maintaining this site so it will certainly be put to good use and others will benefit in the future.

I’d also like to acquire the valve tester.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 28th Oct 2018, 3:10 pm   #8
clivemd
Triode

Thanks everyone for all the replies and messages so far - much appreciated.

As a newbie my forum message box has reached its limit. Michael, I think I can still receive though so could you send me an email address as I like your idea about the service sheets!
Closed Thread