UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Apr 2018, 6:36 pm   #1
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Default Bush VHF 54 radio with no F.M.

I have acquired a lovely Bush VHF 54. It works on all bands except vhf (fm). There is a very healthy click when I change to VHF. As I stream across the band there is changes in volume where our local stations should be but no voice coming through. I have an outdoor FM. Aerial and I wonder if I could use it to increase gain. All suggestions welcome. Dick.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 8:32 pm   #2
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Re: Bush VHF 54 radio with no F.M.

It's worth checking that the wires haven't come off in the aerial plug. You could also try swapping the two EF80s 'round.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 8:58 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

A good place to start if you don't already have it, would be to download the 17-page Bush data from the Radio Service Data link at the top RH of the page. (NOT the 4-page Trader Sheet #1252). The VHF front end uses two EF80 valves: V1 is the wideband VHF amplifier; V2 is the VHF oscillator/mixer. The ratio detector is the two diodes in V5 (EABC80). Then look at the specified voltages around V1 & V2, on the circuit, and measure what you find around those valves to compare the results with the circuit to see if there are any anomalies such as low anode voltages due to resistors having gone high in value. If you have known good EF80 spare valves, substituting them will either prove that either one or both of the existing valves are duff, or if it makes no difference, will point to problems elsewhere.

As you've got an outside aerial, it makes sense to connect it, because the added gain might show that the set is working, but at faint volume. That could be due to out of spec resistors, valves on their way out, misalignment (especially if their are signs of tampering). If attaching an outside aerial doesn't bring in any signals on VHF, that means they're not finding their way through the RF/IF/Detector stages to the audio stage. Another possibility (if lady luck is shining on you), is open-circuit switch contacts - a squirt of Servisol/Deoxit might cure that.

Bear in mind that the set is over 60 years old, and it's unrealistic to expect to not have to do some in-depth diagnostic checks and probable replacement of out of spec components. Certainly even though the set is working on the AM bands, if not already changed, C56 - the audio coupling cap ought to be changed, and maybe C58 too. You may need to decide if you just want to 'get it going' or do some restoration work on it to keep it going reliably into the future.

Just some initial thoughts to start the ball rolling.

Good luck with it Dick.
Old 13th Apr 2018, 6:30 am   #4
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Morning Dick.
The email you sent me will not work. I have tested 2 EF80 Valves for you and I will post them ASP. Please have a look at the photo of the VHF top end you will see 3 brown hunts capacitors in There they need to be replaced .

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180412_103536.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	161042   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180412_103512.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	161043   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180412_103521.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	161044  
Old 26th Apr 2018, 12:27 pm   #5
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Hello Dick.
Sorry its taken a long time to get back to you. Please see the photos of the under side of the VHF54.
Kevin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180426_121811.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	161843   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180426_121823.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	161844   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180426_122025.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	161845   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180426_122135.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	161846   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180426_122144.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	161847  

Old 26th Apr 2018, 12:54 pm   #6
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

A Know Fault.

There is a ceramic trimmer in the FM box that goes s/c to ground out the ht to the FM frequency changer valve.
See
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=116281

If you search for "Bush FM trimmer" in the search box you will find many more similar.
Not saying that this is your fault but it is possible.
Sam.
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 2:46 pm   #7
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Hi again, I have been looking at the F.M sub-chassis. The capacitors (Hunts) have all been replaced. One of the mica capacitors is reading 6pF instead of 4.7pF. It says plus or minus 20 percent. Would this be OK? Also can I read the voltages on the EF 80's with the valves taken out?

Thanks again, Dick.
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 2:52 pm   #8
ms660
Dekatron

Only with fly leads connected otherwise there won't be a lot to read.

I think you might mean measure the voltages on the valve sockets.....You can do that no problem.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 2nd Aug 2018 at 3:02 pm.
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 3:16 pm   #9
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I have done several of these, C50 can be duff, be sure to connect it the same way round, and the diodes in the EABC80 can be low emission. They have separate heaters from the triode.
Also bear in mind that on FM the ECH81 acts as the first IF amplifier, I have had some that are happy as the AM frequency changer but get fussy when asked to be an FM IF amp.

My previous about trimmer cap TC1 is a red herring when the FM head is 2 EF80s.

Last edited by Boater Sam; 2nd Aug 2018 at 3:19 pm. Reason: added
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 7:30 pm   #10
crackle
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Glennon View Post
Hi again, I have been looking at the F.M sub-chassis. The capacitors (Hunts) have all been replaced. One of the mica capacitors is reading 6pF instead of 4.7pF. It says plus or minus 20 percent. Would this be OK?
I wouldn't worry, I would be surprised if your capacitance meter, if it is a DMM type, can read that accurately anyway.

Mike
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 9:16 pm   #11
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Also can I read the voltages on the EF 80's with the valves taken out?
No...it would tell you nothing. Why would you want to do it anyway? The voltages on the circuit are given with the valves drawing normal current. With the valves out, any reading taken would be meaningless.
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 9:23 pm   #12
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Hi again, There is a discharge of some kind on top of L 3 (slightly tacky). It has not spilled down the sides, but it is also at the base of the valve holders. It has remained tacky all this time. It is now brown/black in colour. The adjusting core in L3 is very loose. Regards Dick.
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 9:36 pm   #13
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Quote:
Also can I read the voltages on the EF 80's with the valves taken out?

Thanks again, Dick.
No...it would tell you nothing. Why would you want to do it anyway? The voltages on the circuit are given with the valves drawing normal current. With the valves out, any reading taken would be meaningless.
Not always....

Lawrence.
Old 7th Aug 2018, 9:21 pm   #14
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Hello again, I now have very faint stations coming in on VHF. This is with the lamp limiter and its own Aerial. I have only replaced the resistors in the FM end. Any more advice?

Dick.
Closed Thread