UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Aug 2018, 5:18 pm   #1
sobell1980
Octode

Default Wood Veneer Repair.

Does anyone have an experience repairing scratches to vaneer radiograms? They are light to medium scratches. What are the best products to use or is there somewhere I can take it for repair?

Many thanks
Old 4th Aug 2018, 7:10 pm   #2
Radioski
Triode

Default Re: Wood Vaneer Repair

I did a Marconi 279 by sanding it down and using finishing oil. You need to be careful with the sanding to avoid going through the veneer.

Before and after pics attached. Note some people may disagree with this method because it removes the 'patina', I think it's fine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3627.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	167024   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161106_16291.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	167025  
Old 4th Aug 2018, 7:23 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Well you certainly put the work in either way Radioski! See the "Reviving A Finish" thread in the Cabinet Restoration section Sobell and a recommended "solution" with photo examples.

Dave W
Old 4th Aug 2018, 7:28 pm   #4
Radioski
Triode

oh forgot to mention when you are doing the sanding practice on something else first.

You'll need to use progressively finer grades of sandpaper until you end up with a dead smooth finish. It takes longer than you'd expect.

Be aware that some electric sanders can leave a pattern in the finish due to the motion of the machine, again if you are planning to use one practice first.
Old 4th Aug 2018, 7:58 pm   #5
crackle
Rest in Peace

I agree the Marconi 279 does look very nice now, but some think that removing the original finish with its special "toners" added to soften the look of the grain and make the colour of the finish more uniform, leaves the wood looking a rather naked. Personally I like it, but it may not be what the original radio would have looked like.
There are proprietary scratch cover treatments, Furniture restorer is one I use.
I give the cabinet a thorough clean with detergent and water, to remove surface dirt. Dry it and then use Liberon wax and polish remover to remove the dirt and some of the layers of wax polish. Then buff the surface with a clean dry duster. This in itself can sometimes be enough.
If still required a quick wipe over with a cloth soaked in danish oil, give the oil enough time to seep into the minute cracks and pinholes but dont allow it to dry. I then wipe of the excess leaving a smooth finish and leave it to dry to a semi gloss. It gives the surface a nice fresh look.
For anything where there is more than the minor surface cracking and hairline scratches, then I consider a complete strip of the finish, the front veneers normally come out looking good like the Marconi in the example above, but it is often the case that the sides and sometimes even the top are made from stock birch plywood with no decorative veneer just a dark finish to blend the colour in with the rest of the set. This is very difficult to deal with to get the finish looking right.
Mike

Last edited by crackle; 4th Aug 2018 at 8:17 pm.
Old 5th Aug 2018, 8:24 am   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Wood Veneer Repair.

I would definitely rather have the after version in post#2, looks really good.
Old 5th Aug 2018, 10:04 am   #7
John10b
Nonode

As Dave W suggested take a look at the section dealing with Cabinets etc, a wealth of information to be found.
Cheers
John
Old 5th Aug 2018, 10:20 am   #8
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Depending on the age, the finish is likely to be cellulose lacquer rather than French (shellac) polish.
If the latter, it can be touched in.
If cellulose its more difficult, try filling with coloured wax and then scratch cover from Rustins.
Old 5th Aug 2018, 10:23 am   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

Before trying anything else, try scratchcover polish. Available from Wilko or just google it. It really does work wonders and is often all that is needed.
Old 5th Aug 2018, 10:25 am   #10
ms660
Dekatron

A bottle of Topps was standard issue back in the day.

Lawrence.
Old 5th Aug 2018, 10:33 am   #11
Nuvistor
Dekatron

That does bring back memories.
Old 5th Aug 2018, 12:32 pm   #12
peter_scott
Dekatron

Just reiterating another similar post. I find linseed oil is very effective at restoring the clarity of the wood grain and hiding minor defects.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...0&d=1533394566

Peter
Old 5th Aug 2018, 12:52 pm   #13
stevehertz
Dekatron

Yes, but not including any dye, the effect is short lived compared to a scratchcover polish that deposits dye in the lacquer cracks, scratches etc etc. Even the effect of scratchcover polish 'wears off' after a time.
Old 5th Aug 2018, 12:55 pm   #14
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Is Topps still around? It used to be excellent stuff.
Old 5th Aug 2018, 1:13 pm   #15
stevehertz
Dekatron

Yes and no, it's a Mr Sheen product now, but the name Topp's still appears in small lettering on the bottle. There's also Rustins, Ronseal, Wilko and Old English to name a few. All much of a muchness, but always try a lighter shade first otherwise you can end up with a much darkened cabinet and/or dark 'veins' in the lacquer cracks.
Old 5th Aug 2018, 1:15 pm   #16
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
the effect is short lived compared to a scratchcover polish.
I'll come back with another photo in a year's time.

Peter
Old 5th Aug 2018, 1:17 pm   #17
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
Yes, but not including any dye, the effect is short lived compared to a scratchcover polish that deposits dye in the lacquer cracks, scratches etc etc. Even the effect of scratchcover polish 'wears off' after a time.
Not the same thing, but it's worth drawing attention to the risk of using wood die on wood veneers when the lacquer has been removed. If the preparation is less than perfect or the application of die too heavy and there are any sanding scratches, the die will lodge in them and they will be mercilessly exposed! It's much safer to add colour by spraying on toner, which 'sits on top'.

Steve
Old 5th Aug 2018, 1:32 pm   #18
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
Quote:
the effect is short lived compared to a scratchcover polish.
I'll come back with another photo in a year's time.
It'll probably still be ok in a year's time, or even three or four. But as I say, the dye in SCP is a bit of extra insurance.
Old 6th Aug 2018, 9:44 pm   #19
sobell1980
Octode

Wow, what a response. Many thanks to all your replies. I've discovered that detailing is not my forte. This is my pride and joy, the thought of sanding etc terrifies me. I have found this place via the forum. I think I know where my limits are and this type of repair I've decided would be best left to someone who know what they are doing. If it were a set I was able to have a practice on I think id like to have a go. But this is a beauty and needs the right sort of attention. Really appreciate everyone's input though. I will let you know the outcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180804-182739_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	167122  
Old 6th Aug 2018, 10:24 pm   #20
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
Quote:
Not the same thing, but it's worth drawing attention to the risk of using wood die on wood veneers when the lacquer has been removed. If the preparation is less than perfect or the application of die too heavy and there are any sanding scratches, the die will lodge in them and they will be mercilessly exposed! It's much safer to add colour by spraying on toner, which 'sits on top'.

Steve
Steve, I'm struggling to see the purpose of linking my comment with yours that is a totally different matter, ie restoring an old, scratched finish vs applying wood dye to bare wood. I totally 'get' and agree with what you are saying, but like I say, it's largely unrelated to my comment that you quote here and is basically unnecessary, confusing even.