UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2020, 2:20 pm   #1
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Ferrograph Series 7 Model Number Identification

Where about on the unit can the model number be found please ?
Old 29th Jan 2020, 3:10 pm   #2
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: Ferrograph Series 7 Model Number Identification

When standing vertically so that the sockets are at the top there should be a label next to them, unless it has fallen off!

Sorry for the terrible picture from Audiokarma but it does show the location.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8CC8C4E6-65C9-48FF-9820-97D72BC1DD76.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	197963  
Old 29th Jan 2020, 3:23 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you Peter, attached are 2 pictures of that area (also not good quality) showing the unit I am watching.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Series 7 # 1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	197964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Series 7 # 2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	197965  
Old 29th Jan 2020, 3:25 pm   #4
nutteronthebus
Hexode

under the handle that lifts out ( some do not realise it pulls up)

Dave
Old 29th Jan 2020, 3:47 pm   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you Dave, so unless the label has come adrift, it is probably hiding behind/covered by the un-retracted handle.

In the User Handbook pictures, I can see the label in the Stereo model, but no obvious label in the mono model. The one I am looking at, I think must be stereo because it has 2 VU meters.

David
Old 29th Jan 2020, 3:56 pm   #6
llama
Octode

I notice a Cannon LNE connector there rather than the small Belling-Lee which mine has. I wonder if that makes it a former BBC machine.
Graham
Old 29th Jan 2020, 5:11 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Seller has come back saying the label is missing (a shame), he has another incomplete stereo one where model number is P722/BBC.
Old 29th Jan 2020, 5:20 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
I notice a Cannon LNE connector there rather than the small Belling-Lee which mine has. I wonder if that makes it a former BBC machine.
I did wonder what sort of mains connector that was, I do not know for sure but possibly the one I am looking at does not have the mains power cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Seller has come back saying the label is missing (a shame), he has another incomplete stereo one where model number is P722/BBC.
Have now purchased both units, could be an interesting challenge getting the complete unit functional.
Old 29th Jan 2020, 6:02 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Interesting thread MD! I have said elsewhere that I have a Series 7 in the North. It went missing for a while [surprising in a way given it's weight]
I'm not sure I know about that handle either Will check it out for a serial number when I'm back there but I doubt it's ex-BBC. Given the various contrasting opinions about these recorders it's interesting that the Beeb used them at all.

Dave W
Old 29th Jan 2020, 9:18 pm   #10
Reelman
Octode

Well, good luck with the restorations David, I’m sure you are aware of the issues with the rubber idlers and pinch wheels. Ensure they are all solid before being tempted to power up. If they are soft then the rapid rotation of the idlers will spray a horrible black goo everywhere. I have a machine in the same metal case as yours and I switched it on before I understood about the decaying rubber. It started to play fine but soon slowed down and finally stopped. It was a shock to see the mess inside!

As regards the metal cased versions I was always led to believe that they were of military origin.

Peter
Old 29th Jan 2020, 9:58 pm   #11
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for that heads up, I have briefly previously read a few horror stories of similar nature, I will certainly check and tread carefully.

David
Old 29th Jan 2020, 10:33 pm   #12
Reelman
Octode

I hope it goes well David, let us know how they come along.

Peter
Old 29th Jan 2020, 11:05 pm   #13
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The second one is very incomplete so just for spares support.
Old 30th Jan 2020, 10:45 am   #14
Ferrograph723
Triode

Hi, Are these the two machines that the charity was selling on eBay (I think it was British Heart Foundation maybe?). If so, I think they both had lids..... if you happen to fancy selling one of the spare lids, I may be interested

Either way, good luck with the refurb - I dipped my toe into the world of Series 7 ownership a month or so ago and am loving it. They seem like really nice machines to work on, brilliantly engineered, quirky, and the sound quality is fantastic. Aside from a very slight hum (which is only really audible in quiet gaps between music) it passes the Pepsi challenge test against a CD player.

PS I think I also read somewhere that the red power socket was a BBC modification.
Old 30th Jan 2020, 12:55 pm   #15
barrymagrec
Octode

The BBC used the Cannon LNE on most of their equipment in the sixties and seventies. It is a very good connector, rugged, reliable, small and latching but it does not meet current regs.
Old 30th Jan 2020, 6:24 pm   #16
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrograph723 View Post
Hi, Are these the two machines that the charity was selling on eBay (I think it was British Heart Foundation maybe?). If so, I think they both had lids..... if you happen to fancy selling one of the spare lids, I may be interested
From eBay but not a charity sale. Both should come with lids, when I get them, I will check the lids out (and the rest) and then get back to you reference possible lid sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymagrec View Post
The BBC used the Cannon LNE on most of their equipment in the sixties and seventies. It is a very good connector, rugged, reliable, small and latching but it does not meet current regs.
Not 100% sure,but I think neither unit has a mains power cable. Do you know if the female (assuming the chassis mains connector is male) Cannon connector is easily available ?

Also do you know which aspect of the Cannon connector does not meet current regs please ?

David
Old 30th Jan 2020, 9:09 pm   #17
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
Well, good luck with the restorations David, I’m sure you are aware of the issues with the rubber idlers and pinch wheels. Ensure they are all solid before being tempted to power up. If they are soft then the rapid rotation of the idlers will spray a horrible black goo everywhere. I have a machine in the same metal case as yours and I switched it on before I understood about the decaying rubber. It started to play fine but soon slowed down and finally stopped. It was a shock to see the mess inside!

As regards the metal cased versions I was always led to believe that they were of military origin.
Hi Peter,

The incomplete unit has model # P722/BBC. According to the Operators Handbook the P suffix = "Portable wood case, leather-clothe covered, with lid".

From the photos both units do look like the case and lid are maybe metal or maybe a combination of metal and wood, when I receive the units this will become clearer.

Being picky I would call the P a Prefix, not a Suffix ? so maybe in this case the P is not the Suffix referred to, but is a Prefix maybe for Military as you say ?

David
Old 30th Jan 2020, 10:51 pm   #18
Reelman
Octode

You could be right about that, hopefully another member may be able to confirm. My metal cased one is painted grey with a metal grey lid held by strong vicious catches.... and is heavy!

If memory serves me correct....

The wooden cased ones came with a wooden “transit” lid (never seen in the flesh) but a clear plastic cover was available as an extra. The wood cases were in a teak natural finish or covered with grey leather cloth.

Peter
Old 30th Jan 2020, 11:26 pm   #19
Mistral13
Triode

David,
If you need to replace the 3 idler wheels, they were for sale very recently on eBay for £30 a set. They are from earlier models (series 6 or 5) and don't suffer from the Series 7 'turn to jelly' problem.

They are used but servicable and seeing as a single refurbished exchange idler wheel costs over £35 exc p&p from the USA they work well enough to get you going.

My Series 7 pinch wheel was missing entirely, but I found a new replacement - again on eBay - for £40. The seller had had a batch made up and was selling the excess.

David
Old 30th Jan 2020, 11:28 pm   #20
Mistral13
Triode

Further to my last, the pinch wheel item number is 254482182694 on eBay.
Closed Thread