UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2020, 6:22 pm   #1
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default McMichael 362 SW anomaly

Hello all, I have just been listening to my McMichael 362 that hasn't been used for a while. Everything worked OK (albeit the volume control has gone a bit scratchy despite the AF coupling capacitor being replaced with a yellow mustard job some years back). I'm running the set off a 1.5m long mains extension lead with 5 x 13A sockets. The supply cable to the radio is 3-core and the chassis is earthed. The aerial is a 10m long-wire in the garden. I noticed a weird effect on the 49m Band where I was listening to some Euro Pirates inc Radio 319. The signal strength and background noise dropped by about 50% when I plugged in another appliance into a vacant socket of the extension lead. It wasn't the live or neutral causing the issue because the symptom occurred with just the earth pin of the second appliance connected. The effect was less on the 41m band and not noticeable at all on the higher HF bands, MW or LW. I've not seen this before but seems to be some sort of loading affecting the tuned circuit. There's nothing very special about the McMichael 362; it is basically a bog standard short superhet with RF amp (see Trader #184). Anybody explain what is causing this? Cheers, Jerry
Closed Thread