UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2020, 4:53 pm   #21
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Posting Frequency

Aub is right [post 10*] but although well intentioned, this improvement didn't receive entirely universal acclaim [to my recollection]. Baby and Bathwater comes to mind! Some things that I'd got very used to bringing up, for example, became unavailable. There was also concern that Paul's Forum had become a really invaluable resource in itself and one that should be conserved as fully as possible. Inevitably, a lot of the input was from contributors whose knowledge and experience would not be around for ever. I think that this is much more recognised and acknowledged these days, especially in the age of You Tube Retro and instant gratification culture!

Dave W

I've actually been a Forum member longer than my Jan 2006 date suggests. I recall a request to re-register at that point. I did once ask if there was a record of my original joining but it seemed that this didn't happen. I'd thought it was a requirement for everyone to re-enlist at the time but could not get any confirmation of that either. I do recall not posting for a year or two until I'd got the hang of the way things worked on such a site. As for Paul's wry "quality not quantity" comment...I liked it but of course you wonder who it's focused on?

Last edited by dave walsh; 6th Jan 2020 at 5:17 pm.
Old 6th Jan 2020, 7:01 pm   #22
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
The other stat ive always wondered about are the ages of the members who post.
Are there stats regarding this?
Would be interesting to see the age ranges and the amount of forum members within those age ranges who post.
There aren't any such stats as many if not most forum members nowadays seem not to include any personal details, including D.O.B. in their profile. For those that do, if you click on the Calendar on the strapline above you'll see the birthdays of anyone who has chosen to divulge their D.O.B. It doesn't follow that the individual listed as a member is active on the forum, or even still alive. There are for example, 90 year olds who haven't posted or visited the forum for many years, who may long since have 'shaken off their mortal coil'. There are others who - whatever their age - though they visit the forum regularly, rarely if ever post.

As far as I can tell, glancing through the calendar, the oldest active forum member appears to be coming up for his 83rd birthday in May and has been a member since 2011. I joined in February 2003 about 3 month after the forum went live, at which time I was 63. Now in my 81st year, I know I'm old 'cos at 55 & 51, my kids are getting old, but I've still not decided what I want to be when I grow up!

There are also many members who - though active posters on the forum - seem not to undertake any restoration work or homebrew, which is fine. Not everyone has the facilities or even the faculties to so, may have other commitments and demands on their time, but enjoy playing a full part on the forum.

The ratio of those who post to those who only view threads tends to be at best, 1:20. To take this thread as an example, this is the 20th post and the thread has been viewed 670 times. (1:33).

Inevitably, in this hobby - as in similar craft hobbies - model engineering, R.C. model boats, woodturning and the like, the age distribution will be heavily skewed towards over 60s. Younger people seem to have 'pastimes' rather than hobbies. A 'hobby' for countless millions now is Facebook, Instagram, twitter, taking selfies and texting. That's just how it is.
Old 6th Jan 2020, 7:59 pm   #23
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

This is the phrase David re restoration etc, those who can do.
Old 6th Jan 2020, 10:15 pm   #24
LeakyGrid
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
the oldest active forum member appears to be coming up for his 83rd birthday in May
I don't know whether I qualify as active, but I will be 85 in March.
Old 6th Jan 2020, 11:20 pm   #25
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Yes indeed, and unless anyone else claims the crown, you appear to be our ‘elder statesman’!
Old 7th Jan 2020, 3:55 am   #26
Glowing Bits!
Octode

David, are you trying to tell me I should spend all day with Facebook?
I have little interest in any social media platform but do have a Facebook account, it is seldom used due to the fact that most of the stuff people put on there is either bragging material or total random crap.
As a kid in the 90's, internet only just about existed, a colour telly was considered a luxury too.
While I may not post much on this forum these days, I do often check in to see what's happening.
The main reason for not posting as much is because my interests are changing, a motorhome conversion certainly ain't a wireless set!
For the record, I'm only 33 years young.
Old 7th Jan 2020, 9:59 am   #27
LeakyGrid
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeakyGrid View Post
I will be 85 in March.
Sorry, senior moment. That should be 86.
Old 7th Jan 2020, 11:06 am   #28
David G4EBT
Dekatron

The 'PC' term for which is now an 'intellectual interlude'!
Old 7th Jan 2020, 1:45 pm   #29
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
This is my tenth year on the Forum and i think my frequency is about a third of a post a day !
The other stat ive always wondered about are the ages of the members who post.
Are there stats regarding this?
Would be interesting to see the age ranges and the amount of forum members within those age ranges who post.
There are no stats for that. In theory it would be possible to compile it, but it would be quite a lot of work, and not worthwhile just for curiosity.

You could look at the list of members by post count https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...rt=posts&pp=20 then check the date they joined and if their age is shown, and work it out for the most prolific members. You would also need to check when they last posted in case they are no longer active.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th Jan 2020, 2:21 pm   #30
electronicskip
Nonode

I suppose we could run a poll?
Would give a keyhole look at it .
Old 7th Jan 2020, 3:53 pm   #31
Station X

Looks like it's more than ten years since we had an age poll:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=45813

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Jan 2020, 4:03 pm   #32
Station X

I've started a new age poll here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=162757

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Jan 2020, 10:14 pm   #33
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Graham, that's super cool, I'll head on over there and stick myself on it, not ashamed of my age, I have nothing to hide!
Old 10th Mar 2020, 5:21 pm   #34
AC/HL
Dekatron

This thread seems to have run it's course so over to the poll.
Closed Thread