UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2008, 11:42 pm   #21
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Re: Ultra Model No. 6659 Dual Standard TV

It certainly loks like a 950, Even got the flywheel sync circuit using the EF80 which (correct me if I'm wrong, was optional) is stacked on the top of the main PCB, Looks very similar to my Ferguson Personal 3629 I used to have.

Cheers
Lee
Old 18th Feb 2008, 9:05 pm   #22
Racalfanatic
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ultra 6642 Dual Standard TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGmidsUK View Post
Hi thanks for your comments .. in response to Alan the line timebase is rock solid (in 625 anyway as I don't yet have a 405 signal generator) I've not actually powered the set up for some time due to having had no workshop space. Now it's up here in the loft along with everything else behind the bannister but having cleared a load of old VCRs and other stuff which wasn't worth repairing - nothing vintage I might add - I can now get to it (and my kit) I'll be having a go at fixing it properly.

Thanks also Brian for the comment on the thermistor, I had thought of something along those lines but hadn't tried it for those reasons (a bit like the notorious positors used in degaussing circuits, used to fix no end of sets with that problem!)

Here's a pic of the set

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian10...a_6642_320.JPG
(Click for full size image)

Brian
That's an attractive set. My wife wouldn't think so though.
Old 18th Feb 2008, 10:22 pm   #23
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ultra 6642 Dual Standard TV

Thanks when I bought the set I had to take it home in a taxi and the cabbie said "what did you buy that thing for" and I would really appreciate your offer of posting the notes and stock faults John maybe the fault on this set will be in there! I'm looking forward to having the set working properly.

The tube on the Ultra isn't that bright but it hasn't seen any significant service for a long time, due to the frame fault. I hope it will come up nicely if allowed to run for a couple of hours. It is perfectly acceptable though and I was viewing it in a very well lit workshop!

I had suspected the 1400 was indeed a vertical PCB on hinges but I haven't had the opportunity to see one as yet.

Brian
Old 18th Feb 2008, 10:30 pm   #24
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ultra Model No. 6659 Dual Standard TV

By the way, is that a G8 in your avatar Gary? I have fond memories of scraping all the skin off my fingers setting up the convergence from scratch on a set I acquired, after I replaced a faulty cap on the convergence panel. Those pots were evil! I had that set for a good few years until I sold it, the picture was excellent!
Closed Thread