UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Feb 2008, 10:24 pm   #1
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Default G8 buzz on sound.

Hi all
I wonder if anyone can explain the following to me. This afternoon whilst laying on my bed watching Richard and Judy on my Philips G8 (combined IF & chroma panel), I noticed the following.

All was fine until an advert for Norwich Union Direct came on and they put some small legal text on the bottom of the screen. Whenever this was displayed during the advert, there was a buzzing almost like a mistuned channel coming from the speaker: whenever the text was off the screen sound was normal. Why does this happen, is it a fault ? Do other makes of set of this era suffer the same problem?

Mike Burton

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 4th Mar 2009 at 11:51 am. Reason: Typos corrected
Old 29th Feb 2008, 11:15 pm   #2
Tazman1966
Nonode

Default Re: G8 buzz on sound ?

Hi Mike.

Maybe the G8 was protesting at having to display Richard & Judy

Seriously though, my G8 (G22K551) also had "caption buzz" although I managed to almost competely tune it out by tweaking the cores in the sound IF module. The paper sticky label that covers them up already had holes poked in it to allow this! In other words, someone had already had a go!

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0208.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	15585

If you click on the thumbnail above you'll see which one I mean.

I've also noticed that it is not present at all if we're using the RF output of the Sky box.

Hope this helps.
Old 29th Feb 2008, 11:38 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

Ah, the BRC1500 problem!

Caption Buzz is easier to eliminate in a G8, but why was it turned in the first place?

If you can't get rid of it, check on TP2 and change the caps around the transistor 506. This lot are all on the board inside the can I'm afraid. Has it been apart?

Cheers,

Steve P

Last edited by Steve_P; 29th Feb 2008 at 11:44 pm.
Old 1st Mar 2008, 12:26 am   #4
Tim
Dekatron

I used to get this on our Decca Bradford.
Old 1st Mar 2008, 12:31 am   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

We might get this sort of thing a bit more now. In the analogue transmissions, the modulator was a lot more precise, and VSB. Now we need a modulator in whatever box we are going to run the set off. And they are cheap, as most people use scart now anyway.

Just a thought to kick about.

Cheers,

Steve P