UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2008, 9:03 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default Bush T57 wobblies

Finally- after 2 years(!)- got around to looking at the Bush T57 I acquired from a house clearance in Leicester. It's not often you are lucky enough to get a set from the original owner. I believe it had been unused in a back bedroom for years. It's one of my favourite 50s sets- I like the cute console-without-doors look.

Anyway, replacing most of the caps on the tmebase chassis has resulted in image you can see below. I've not even had to touch the height or picture linearity.

Although I've not changed a single component on the receiver deck, it's still managing to produce vision and sound very well. As to the pulling visible in the picture, would I be right in suspecting components around V9 (ECC82), the grandly titled line timebase multivibrator oscillator, or would the sync separator V8 (ECC83) be more likely? I imagine all the caps will want eventually need changing on this chassis, but as I'm running a bit low on spares, I'd like to make the best use of what I have left and attempt a more educated approach!

Thanks
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forum 053.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	15497  
Old 25th Feb 2008, 9:12 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush T57 wobblies

Go for the parts around V9. How critical is the line hold?

Oh - try an Aerial Connection rather than a lead on the converter. And try switching the Aurora to 'original signal' spec, so it no longer provides equalising pulses.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 25th Feb 2008, 10:04 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

If you have not replaced this capacitor, before you get too deep into the circuit,try replacing C39 .1uf. Its the sync coupling capacitor and will cause 'cogging' if at all leaky.
Regards, John.
Old 26th Feb 2008, 3:22 pm   #4
murphyv310
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
If you have not replaced this capacitor, before you get too deep into the circuit,try replacing C39 .1uf. Its the sync coupling capacitor and will cause 'cogging' if at all leaky.
Regards, John.
Yes the fault is a classic sync problem.
I would agree with John as DC will be on the grid of the sync separator; even a very slight leak will cause the fault.
Trevor
Old 26th Feb 2008, 10:48 pm   #5
Colourstar
Octode

The guilty cap turned out to be C43 which is a 0.1uf. The circuit notes state 'negative going output from V7a is also passed via R44, C43 to sync separator valve' which I'm sure confirms what you were telling me earlier!

I had only one 0.1 cap left in my spares box too. Lucky! Anyway the set is now producing a lovely picture and I'm over the moon with it.

Thanks very much to everyone for their help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forum 073.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	15533   Click image for larger version

Name:	forum 076.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	15534  

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 4th Mar 2009 at 12:02 pm. Reason: Removed reference to deleted post.
Old 26th Feb 2008, 10:57 pm   #6
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hello Steve.

That's a lovely result. I bet you're pleased as punch as logic has prevailed too. I hope it has pride of place somewhere.

All the very best,
Old 27th Feb 2008, 2:17 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Just as a general note on the TV53/63 series and in fact anything you are working on. Trevor did exactly the correct thing here, replacing the very minimum of components so as to get 'something' on the screen.' If you do this the receiver itself will act as its own diagnostic equipment and will spew up its faults for all to see.
I know I go on about this often but I repeat again, replace only one, component at a time powering the set after each replacement. In this way you can see the effect of each renewal and observe the symptoms. There is nothing worse than blanket replacing everything in sight, then ending up with more faults than you started with, often with a puff of smoke! It can take hours of sorting out with much frustration and loss of enthusiasm. All the best detailed notes often fail believe me!
Trevor's Bush is so typical exposing its problems as the work progressed to a satisfactory conclusion. All the best and if nothing else its a good lesson in patience...John.
Closed Thread