UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2020, 2:30 pm   #1
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Salvage Hunters

I just caught an episode of 'Salvage Hunters' on Quest TV, where a number of splendid BBC Studio clocks made by Gents of Leicester were acquired (I didn't see that bit of the programme). Back at the restoration base it was declared "these were intended to be driven by a Master Clock, so we have to replace the entire mechanism", which they did, installing a ubiquitous quartz movement and replacement hands, thus totally destroying the originality and authenticity of a historic item.

When will people learn that a slave/impulse clock can be driven by a modern Impulse Generator in place of the original Master Clock, without any need to wreck the original item?

Andy
Old 29th Mar 2020, 2:36 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Salvage Hunters

Shocking. Ignorance disseminated on a grand scale.
Old 29th Mar 2020, 2:41 pm   #3
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

What really annoys me is that the perpetrators would claim to be professionals with a serious interest in history.

Andy
Old 29th Mar 2020, 2:59 pm   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

They are stupid.
You only need to count down the mains frequency and feed them with the pulses as they would have been when they were new.
Old 29th Mar 2020, 4:16 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

Here's the item in question if anyone missed the programme.

https://www.drewpritchard.co.uk/prod...-studiio-clock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clock.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	201772  
Old 29th Mar 2020, 4:24 pm   #6
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Seen what Salvage Hunters do to clocks before...

They stick a 5 quid quartz movement onto the huge weighty hands of an even larger public building ancient clock (I wonder if the mech lasts longer than the battery?)
Old 29th Mar 2020, 5:00 pm   #7
audiomagpie
Heptode

Quick turn around, quick money, that is essentially what the program is about...

BVWS committee chairman
Old 29th Mar 2020, 5:30 pm   #8
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Least they didn’t change the red bulbs for trendy blue LED ones!!

Christopher Capener
Old 29th Mar 2020, 5:35 pm   #9
red16v
Heptode

We had these all over our studio centre, I think they were driven by a bi-phase pulse from the master unit. In the end they were all replaced with modern time code versions, but, there was one that couldn’t be replaced. It’s quite common for a clock to be positioned high up in a tv studio so that people on the floor can see it and keep track of time. In our case, these clocks were mounted high up just below the lighting gantry. It must have been approaching 3ft in diameter and there was no modern equivalent being manufactured any more. One of my very clever colleagues designed and built a timecode>pulse decoder to drive the original clocks. To the best of my knowledge they are still there 50 years later and about 20 years after they were interfaced to the new decoders.
Old 29th Mar 2020, 5:46 pm   #10
Alvin
Heptode

Pure nostalgia.............my working life was ruled by these clocks when I worked as a tech op at Broadcasting House from Dec 70 to June 77 so very sad to see them end up like this!
Old 30th Mar 2020, 8:00 am   #11
Test Desk
Tetrode

I think most larger GPO/BT Strowger telephone exchanges had these Gent clock systems installed at the time of construction. I remember an old boy explaining how it worked when I was an apprentice back in the sixties. Is Gents pronounced with a hard or soft G?
I nearly bought a car from a Mr. S. Windle. but I found a big hole in the cill. A least I gave him a chance with his dodgy name!
Old 30th Mar 2020, 8:50 am   #12
red16v
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Desk View Post
I think most larger GPO/BT Strowger telephone exchanges had these Gent clock systems installed at the time of construction. I remember an old boy explaining how it worked when I was an apprentice back in the sixties. Is Gents pronounced with a hard or soft G?
I nearly bought a car from a Mr. S. Windle. but I found a big hole in the cill. A least I gave him a chance with his dodgy name!
Soft ‘G’.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 10:31 am   #13
Junk Box Nick
Octode

When ever I mention restoration to the uninitiated, especially the time involved, I get the "oh, I saw XYZ on TV and they did it in a week". They then proceed to tell me how it's all done. (Had an instance a only a couple of months ago. I change the subject.) Well, if it's on TV it must be right.

A lot of us on this forum must have wasted an awful lot of time - time that we could have spent, feet up, watching TV...

OT I remember Doolittle & Dalley in Kidderminster. Went past the office in, I think, Mason Road, frequently in my youth. About twenty years ago a friend of mine had his house conveyancing done by a firm called Wright Hassall.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 10:53 am   #14
Radio Wrangler

I suppose the fun ends with Mr Box, the undertaker, whose shop I passed a few weeks ago.

David
Old 30th Mar 2020, 10:59 am   #15
Station X

Indeed it does. Thread closed.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread