UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Old 28th Feb 2020, 12:22 pm   #1
Downwind27
Triode

Default Trompeter Concentric Twinax Connector

Sorry about the title.
I have some rather special connectors which I thought were BNC but they turn out to be something very different. Searching the Interweb shows several listings in the 20 - 30 mark. If this is any use to anyone it's yours for 3 including postage.

Does anyone know where these are used? I have more if you need them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tromp bits.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	199842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tromp front.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	199843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tromp side.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	199844  
Downwind27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2020, 12:52 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Trompeter Concentric Twinax Connector

That brings back memories - they were double-screened and used on medical/nuclear-instrumentation gear back in the 80s, along with the equally-expensive LEMO connectors.

Harwell/Daresbury Labs/Capenhurst used them in their thousands.
G6Tanuki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2020, 2:47 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Also used to link RF signals between the boxes of the HP 3724A/3725A baseband analyser. Useful whenever you needed a double-sceened coax connection.

They are NOT twinax. twinax is a twisted pair inside a screen, and has a BNC-like connector with two pin connections. Twinax is a screened, balanced-pair

These are a single unbalanced signal connextion within a coaxial shield, with a second, insulated shield around that. Usually called TRIAX

Interesting history, but you're unlikely to come across anything using them, though anyone needing one will probably be desperate.

David
Old 28th Feb 2020, 3:15 pm   #4
Malcolm G6ANZ
Heptode

Yes Triax connectors. Not easy to assemble though, the first one I had to make off took me about an hour. I can now do pone in 20 mins.
They are used with ion chambers and electrometers. The outer screen is ground, the next screen carries the -300v chamber bias supply and the signal is on the centre conductor. The inner screen usually has a semiconducting layer to reduce any noise.

Malcolm
Malcolm G6ANZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2020, 4:36 pm   #5
John10b
Octode

They also bring back memories to me, we used them extensively in the Instrumentation Department.
John
John10b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2020, 11:54 pm   #6
Pamphonica
Octode

Yes please, perfect for use with a Keithley precision voltage source that has these on the output.
PM sent
Jeremy
Pamphonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2020, 4:57 am   #7
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Mods.. might be worth changing the title from Twinax to Triax in case someone searching in posterity wants to find a thread on them.

David
Old 29th Feb 2020, 5:08 am   #8
Radio1950
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Mods.. might be worth changing the title from Twinax to Triax in case someone searching in posterity wants to find a thread on them.
Except that the manufacturer calls them "Twinax".
Maybe leave that title alone; a search engine will find both words in this forum.

In Australia "Twinax" was a balanced 90 ohm cable and using PL259/SO239 type two pin connectors made by Acme.
Used in balanced HF RX antennas.
If I find one here I will post a piccie.
Radio1950 is offline   Reply With Quote