UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jun 2009, 5:37 pm   #1
bhamham
Tetrode

Default Bayonet Socket for miniature lamp

Can someone tell me please where I might find a bayonet socket to fit a 9/16" base miniature bulb?

Thanks in anticipation.

Bruce
Old 29th Jun 2009, 10:56 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Bayonet Socket for miniature lamp

Sounds like a standard SBC (small bayonet cap) size.

In which case- any decent electrical or lighting emporium.....

Chris
Old 30th Jun 2009, 10:15 pm   #3
bhamham
Tetrode

Thanks Chris,

I seem to find only 1/2" though.
Old 30th Jun 2009, 10:17 pm   #4
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Bruce,
Is that a car size?
Alan
Old 1st Jul 2009, 7:12 am   #5
bhamham
Tetrode

Hi Alan,

Oddly enough it probably is car size. My application is for a US Hickok valve tester that uses a bulb (GE81) as a line fuse. The bulb and socket were replaced with a glass fuse/holder and I want to restore it back to the original bulb fuse setup.

I did some research on the GE81 and it was also used as a car brake lamp and instrument panel light in airplanes. 6v/1.02A - it may be the same bulb as a Lucas 105.

I need to mount the socket vertically where the bulb just protrudes above the panel.

Thanks for any help.

Bruce
Old 1st Jul 2009, 12:19 pm   #6
Barry Lloyd
Retired Dormant Member

Aloplogies if you get two replies from me , but I think my previous one got lost owing to a computer glitch.
I was puzzled by the reference to 1/2" as I believed (and still believe) that standard sbc caps are 9/16" (or possibly 15mm). I did find an SBC lampholder marked 1/2" but I think this referred to the size of the cable entry hole.
Be that as it may, the following may be of interest, especially as it refers to 1 15mm bulb:
http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/part.phtml?PartID=2337

Barry
Old 1st Jul 2009, 12:46 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Possible confusion here.... is the bulb a single contact or double contact base type?

Ordinary single filament car bulbs have a single centre contact- finding double contact 12V bulbs is a pain- BTDT!

Chris

Edit- just looked up GE81- it's single contact, so my original suggestion wasn't very helpful.......

Looks like the vintage car parts holder has the right version available, though.

Last edited by Herald1360; 1st Jul 2009 at 12:51 pm.
Old 1st Jul 2009, 7:37 pm   #8
bhamham
Tetrode

Thanks Barry & Chris,

It was my lack of understanding that caused the confusion... 1/2" threaded entry was what I was interpreting to mean the size of the bulb socket - sorry.

Thanks for the link Barry - looks to be what I need. I just need to find a bracket for a vertical mounting.
Old 1st Jul 2009, 8:40 pm   #9
pmmunro
Octode

This seems to be the lamp you want, so the base is known in the UK as a Ba 15s SCC(Single Centre Contact) lamp. The nearest modern Lucas lamp is a 205, 6V 5W, See attachment.

This is probably exactly what you want, or could be easily adapted. http://www.holden.co.uk/displayprodu...&pCode=010.395

If you don't like the price, try an auto electrician who keeps lamps for trucks. Rubbolite lampholders are available a spare parts and should be readily available although they are mostly designed to slide into the cylindrical moulding in a rubber lamp or mounted on an SRBP base flange.

PMM.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 205 Lamp.pdf (61.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 2nd Jul 2009, 6:46 am   #10
bhamham
Tetrode

PMM,

That's the ticket! Thanks very much indeed.

Best wishes, everyone.

Bruce
Old 2nd Jul 2009, 11:04 pm   #11
glowinganode
Octode

Ordinary single filament car bulbs have a single centre contact- finding double contact 12V bulbs is a pain- BTDT!

Chris

Hi Chris, there's a commercial garage in Aylesbury that keeps 12v 2 pin bulbs in stock. PM me if you want me to post you some.
Rob.
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 10:35 am   #12
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
TRy a "farming" shop if you have one near you. These are stil used on some tractors.