UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Oct 2018, 10:13 am   #1
Wenlock
Retired Dormant Member

Default Seeking circuit for Sony TR-6400

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help with a circuit for Sony TR-6400 please. I have moderate distortion and have tracked it down to the first AF transistor. I'm getting base-emitter bias i.e. 0.6V and 1.3V but nothing on the collector. Probably an open resistor?

Thanks

Wenlock
Old 27th Oct 2018, 7:33 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Seeking circuit for Sony TR-6400

An open-circuit or high-resistance collector resistor, bad solder joint or faulty PCB trace certainly could account for those readings; although I wouldn't expect any signal to reach the next stage under those conditions

Can you trace out the relevant part of the circuit from the PCB, or perhaps an enlarged close-up photograph of it? (Select the "flower" icon for "macro" mode, if available, and support the camera / phone steady for the clearest results.) If you can follow the copper traces from the collector of the transistor, you should be able to find the suspect resistor that way. If in doubt, check the continuity of the trace with your multimeter.

If you connect the base of the transistor to an external audio amplifier via a 10nF capacitor, do you get a clear signal? What about at the collector of the same transistor?
Old 28th Oct 2018, 2:16 am   #3
Wenlock
Retired Dormant Member

Confused by the flower icon, macro isn't available on iPhone 5s unless I missed something. I'll have a bit more of look at it shortly.

I looked up the specs for the 2SC1384 transistor in question and see I had the leads confused. The voltages I have are:

C 1.3V
B 0.6V
E 0V

Doesn't look good for the transistor, I did check with an ohmmeter and get good results for b-e and b-c but there appears to be a c-e leak one way and open the other.
Old 28th Oct 2018, 9:41 am   #4
Wenlock
Retired Dormant Member

I did try an external amplifier, but I think it somewhat inconclusive as the amplifier has far less bass and appears to sound much clearer because of that.
Old 28th Oct 2018, 11:54 am   #5
orbanp1
Heptode

Hi Wenlock,

That Sony TR-6400 looks "suspiciously" close to the Sony 6R-33 radio:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_s...6_r_336r3.html

Same number of transistors, same description, same time of production, same number of batteries for power source.
It is possible that the circuits are the same, just in a different case.
It would be worthwhile to check this out.

Here are some pictures of the TR-6400:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_s...e_tr_6400.html
https://radioattic.com/item.htm?radio=1340021

Regards, Peter
Old 28th Oct 2018, 11:38 pm   #6
Wenlock
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Peter.

The transistors are different types to the TR-6400 but it does look like the circuit is similar. I’m looking at two AF transistors of the same type (both NPN rather than NPN/PNP) but likely they are DC coupled as in the 6-R33. Might try a new tone cap as I’ve got too much bass, sounds ‘woofy’ and lacks treble.
Closed Thread