UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2005, 2:51 pm   #1
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Making 'vintage' resistors

Hi folks
After various atempts at disguising modern MO & CF resistors, I think I have succeeded, using an air-drying clay called 'Makin's Clay'.
Yep - I know all the issues about insulation and the like; however, the highest values are 470k, and in the application, no more that 100v will be present across any of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	res4.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	240  
Old 24th Feb 2005, 5:10 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Making 'vintage' resistors

Hi Mike, They do look very realistic, that clay could be useful stuff, they have a website :-

http://www.makinsclay.com/UK/english/mc/aboutus.asp

Whats next? Making control knobs from carrots? .

Regards, Mick.
Old 24th Feb 2005, 5:19 pm   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

I've not tried this, but I think that Milliput would be a better substance to use as it is a two-part resin material which is easily mouldable in the fingers or with simple tools. When hardened, it can be sanded, shaped and painted as required.

-Tony
Old 24th Feb 2005, 5:32 pm   #4
Gordon
Pentode

Hi Mike,

Do you envisage any problems with heat dissipation?

Gordon
(ex-CBBTS)
Old 24th Feb 2005, 6:03 pm   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjjo
Whats next? Making control knobs from carrots?
Might try that, Mick - need to use a carrot plane, as the carrot breeders do for German valve testers
Old 24th Feb 2005, 6:08 pm   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Tony
Funny; I never tried Milliput, even though I have used it many times, since the days of the much-lamented K R Whiston. I still have a 1-watter to make, so I will have a go - got some somewhere.

Gordon
I spent some time working out the maximum dissipations of all the resistors in the set in actual use, with an Excel spreadsheet, and ran the one whose dissipation was nearest to the rating off the bench PSU for a day - you could still touch it, so I don't think any worries there. Although the clay is air-drying, I stuck it in the oven to finally dry it before painting. Time will tell,
Old 25th Feb 2005, 9:12 am   #7
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

the shade on the yellow is wrong !

Only joking, what a fantastic project, its amazing just how far it is possible to go to recreate the look of originality.

every credit !
Old 25th Feb 2005, 9:33 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

You didn't spot the brown, then, Steve!!
Old 1st Mar 2005, 10:54 am   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Talking Re: Making 'vintage' resistors

Well done Mike - what an ingenious bit of lateral thinking, and what an excellent result! Neat the way that you've wound the new resistor wires around the thicker ones for termination. I picture paints a thousand words.

It's posting such as yours, and the complete lack of "argy bargy" in this forum that makes it such a pleasure to be a part of.

I'm sure that there will be many "lurkers" like me, who contribute little but derive great enjoyment from trawling through the postings. It's rare not to fnd something of interest.

"Milliput" has been mentioned, and like many others I'ver used it with great success to repair bakelite cabinets. For anyone who isn't familair with it, it's a two-part epoxy putty which is mouldable and becomes rock hard at room temperatures within two hours or so. (This can be speeded up to set within minutes if heat is applied).

It seems to bond well to bakelite and can be sanded, drilled, tapped and painted. The best thing is that it isn't too expensive. It comes in four colours (immaterial if it's to be painted), the cheapest being about £2.00 for a 113g pack, the dearest being white "superfine" which is getting on for a fiver for 113g pack.

You just roll equal parts in the hand till it's pliable, then apply it, after which it gradually hardens. It's great for anyone who was deprived of Plasticine as a child!

"Real Radio" glows in the dark!

David.
Old 2nd Mar 2005, 2:03 am   #10
mikej56
Triode

It is great to see that the craftsman spirit is still alive! Those resistors are beautiful!! It reminds me of a time when radio hams built their own gear.

michael
Old 2nd Mar 2005, 8:52 am   #11
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Thank you all for your positive comments. Next instalment - paper capacitors. Watch this space!!