UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2019, 10:29 am   #1
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default SGS IW 9566 transistor.

This transistor is the 4.433mc/s local oscillator transistor in my UNAOHM EP684R PAL colour generator. It has an intermittent O/C fault that slight pressure will temporarily cure.
Has anybody any data on this transistor? I have looked in my vast transistor data book but no joy.
The maker is SGS and all numbers are IW 9566 IFU13. Thanks, Regards, John.
Old 24th Oct 2019, 11:13 am   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: SGS IW 9566 transistor.

On further investigation the final number on the transistor appears to be 1W 9566 IF013 not IFU13.
John.
Old 24th Oct 2019, 12:58 pm   #3
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

I've had a look through some SGS databooks ranging from mid 70's to early 80's and nothing even remotely similar showing up there.

Could possibly be a house number.

If you know whether it is npn or pnp, I would think the humble BC548 or BC558 would do the job if the component values around it indicate a lowish current draw for that part of the circuit.
Old 24th Oct 2019, 2:43 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Thanks Terry. Yes it is an odd one but the circuit from what I can make out is conventional.
I have soldered some thin tinned copper wire, replacing the transistor so that I can have a play around without damaging the P/C board. A circuit would be a great help but my attempts at downloading one have not been successful! Thanks again, John.
Old 24th Oct 2019, 3:15 pm   #5
paulsherwin

If you can persuade the original to work, even intermittently, you should be able to determine if it's Ge/Si and NPN/PNP. I would expect any general purpose type to work in that sort of oscillator circuit.
Old 24th Oct 2019, 5:22 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

Most jellybean silicon transistors should have no problems with a crystal oscillator at 4.43MHz.

A quick poke with a voltmeter ought to show whether it's biassed-up for NPN or PNP and give an idea of the supply voltage. Shouldn't be too hard to pick a device.

One other possibility is that the crystal has gone a bit iffy and is not as active as it should be (Yup, I've seen this several times) Not uncommon with solder-sealed crystal units.

David
Old 24th Oct 2019, 5:31 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Thanks again! It was the weird number that made me think it was a strange odd ball device. I removed it from the P/C board and it read O/C all ways.
I put some extensions on the board as I reckoned it would take a few attempts to find a device that worked.
As you have suggested, it is nothing special and fitting a BC147A did the trick first time.

Yes David I remember that one from the early colour days. I had a number drift off frequency and become intermittent or dry joint. This one was OK.

It's quite a nice generator and will continue be fine for the dwindling vintage colour receivers that come my way. Thanks all, John.
Old 24th Oct 2019, 7:26 pm   #8
paulsherwin

BUT, a BC147 is a Lockfit. I honestly wouldn't fit one of those even if I had a drawer full of the things. I'm sure you have something suitable in the junk box - BC108, BC182, BC54x, 2N3904, 2N2222, 2SC1815 etc etc.
Closed Thread