UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2018, 12:51 am   #1
SirFrankieCrisp
Retired Dormant Member

Default Garrard Autoslim Spindle Pawl.

Hello, I am new to this forum,
I was hoping that some-one may be able to give some knowledge/advice, I have a Garrard Autoslim, everything is running ok except the spindle will not drop records. The spindle paw moves into the spindle when in auto mode, but the stacked records will not drop. The paw moves freely and there is no rough surface to the paw or spindle.
Old 1st Oct 2018, 1:07 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard Autoslim Spindle Paw

Have you checked that the overarm is firmly seated over the stack of records?
Old 1st Oct 2018, 5:11 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

The spindle must be pressed down until it "clicks" into place. In order to do this, the "C" clip round the hole in the centre of the turntable must be present, and in the right position.
Old 1st Oct 2018, 7:59 pm   #4
SirFrankieCrisp
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for your replies Yes the arm is firmly seated over the stack. The 'C' clip is present how do I know that it is in the right position?, I have noticed that when the auto changer is in action, it looks like the backside of the pawl is not pushing the record over the back of the spindle and there is a bit of side movement on the spindle when in operation.
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 10:22 am   #5
SirFrankieCrisp
Retired Dormant Member

To update I have the 'C' clip in the right position and the spindle clicked into place, I looked at the lever with the pawl return spring attached, it appears the spring is a little out of shape at the point where it is attached to the lever, I assume this is why the pawl drop on the spindle is not operating correctly?. Question where can I get a replacement spring, or is it worth trying to bend the spring into some sort of acceptable shape for the lever to operate correctly?.
Old 9th Oct 2018, 7:49 pm   #6
SirFrankieCrisp
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Garrard Autoslim Spindle Pawl.

Update I think it's the wrong spindle, looking at pictures on various sites, the spindle does not look the same, the record gets stuck over the front of the pawl and doe not push the record to the back of the spindle to drop down, if I play a single 45 and push it under the spindle latch a bit it will drop automatically. Has any-one got a spindle for sale or could guide me in the right direction, maybe i could I mod this one to operate? any suggestions on this thanks. Steve.
Old 10th Oct 2018, 9:02 am   #7
lazythread
Pentode

Hi Steve,

I believe that there are three auto spindles for the Autoslim range.

For the Autoslim it's part number 58338 and is shorter than the AT6 spindle, which will fit however.

Later models all shared the same spindle, which will not fit.

All three spindles come up on eBay and the net frequently.

Regards
Old 10th Oct 2018, 9:37 am   #8
SirFrankieCrisp
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you this is a 1962 record player as the date is stamped inside the bottom of the case.
Old 10th Oct 2018, 11:37 am   #9
lazythread
Pentode

It's also worth checking that the overarm is not bent out of shape, that can stop records from dropping. The spindle may be the right one after all.
Old 11th Oct 2018, 10:36 am   #10
SirFrankieCrisp
Retired Dormant Member

The over-arm is in perfect shape and has been cleaned and lubricated, it drops very smoothly, I think it must be the wrong spindle it looks like an AT6 spindle as the pawl is wider.
Closed Thread