UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Oct 2020, 3:04 pm   #41
ChrisThomas
Triode

Default Re: Analogue electronics books recommendations

Thanks Al...
My maths isn't too bad, having done a couple of OU maths courses a few years ago (and I still have all my notes). These cover up to basic calculus, functions and trig/geometry, all of which come in useful. I have an American book - 'Hands-on Electronics' which is designed by physicists and has a very practical approach (if you have the right breadboard, signal generator and oscilloscope - things I've yet to get), but includes some useful maths for RC circuits etc - e.g. explains why voltage lags current in an RC circuit, and the different configurations of simple low- and high-pass filters. The thing for me is to understand these and other circuit units in practical circuits, and how to break a schematic down into functional blocks, etc., etc. The schematic for the Bush I have is pretty good in this respect, despite its outward complexity for a beginner like me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Tranent? I've been regularly round to Lasswade (for horsey reasons) and I could have loaned you a variety of books to have a look at to see what worked for you. Everything from Fred Terman's books, the Admiralty Wireless handbooks, RSGB, ARRL, Wes Hayward's intro to RF design, AoE. But that's on hold until travel advisories relax.
Many thanks David...yes, maybe we'll get chance at some point! I think I will get Art of Electronics, though, since it is the most widely recommended and sounds like it will give me the grounding I need.
Old 31st Oct 2020, 11:19 pm   #42
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Analogue electronics books recommendations

Hi Chris. When I wrote my last post referring to mnemonics, acronym and maths, etc., I assumed that your maths ability was a lot less than I now understand it to be: I apologise for that misunderstanding. However - and much more to the point - by what you have stated about your maths understandings, those should be quite adequate for the learning route you now wish to take.

However, you referred to block diagrams. An accurate block diagram is especially useful when faced with a piece of equipment you know little (or even nothing) about. That scenario applies to us all: newcomers and 'old hands'. Also applicable to D-I-Y: when I design and build an electronic item for my own use, I always produce and file documentation for it - cct. diag., operation notes and a block diagram - since I know that one day I'm going to need to remind myself what I did, why, etc.

Al.

Last edited by Skywave; 31st Oct 2020 at 11:26 pm. Reason: Typos.
Old 18th Jan 2021, 8:01 pm   #43
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

There were two series of the Basic Electronics Valkenburgh books – one produced in America with US–style diagrams and terminology, and one produced with British style diagrams and terminology, with diagrams lettered in the same lettering that Radio Constructor used – if I get the Technical Press ones, will these be the British versions? – naturally it's the British Style versions I want!

Chris Williams
Old 18th Jan 2021, 8:15 pm   #44
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

That's interesting, Chris. I didn't know there were two versions. Mine have a distinct US vibe to them, and I thought with names like that it could only be an American book!
Old 18th Jan 2021, 8:43 pm   #45
Max Power
Tetrode

I recommend 'Electronic Principles: Physics, Models and Circuits' by Gray and Searle; both of whom were MIT Professors.
Rather than just page after page of equations like many technical books on electronics; they actually explain the principles, and follow-up with worked examples.
They also seamlessly switch between BJTs, FETs, and MOSFETs, unlike many electronics books, which follow one path or another.
An oldy, but a goody.

Another recommendation, for similar reasoning, is 'Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits' by Gray & Meyer. (a different Gray to above)

Personally, I'm not keen on Self; I'm not disputing his ability or knowledge as an engineer, or amp designer; but I have always found him lacking as a technical writer.
And he does seem to bang a particular drum.
Old 18th Jan 2021, 11:27 pm   #46
Radio Wrangler

There are some misconceptions floating around in Self's books. The most recent I've come across relates to paralleling devices for low noise work. He's missing a few concepts that really come from the RF world but which make things an awful lot easier. For someone beginning, this won't be a problem though he does keep banging the same drum a bit.

However, you have to remember he's completely oriented towards audio stuff, and the audio world is in over its head in silly beliefs. Compared to the majority of stuff written on audio, he's towards the better end.

David
Old 19th Jan 2021, 12:28 am   #47
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

I find there's a lot of lucid horse sense in Self's books, no doubt because unlike some pontificating about audio matters he has spent many years designing commercial products which actually work. Perhaps he bangs some of these drums because they keep causing trouble?
Closed Thread