UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Sep 2021, 9:29 am   #1
Hans PE1KWH
Triode

Default Detrola 438 Range receiver manual/schematic

I am looking for the manual/schematic for the Detrola 438 BC-1206 range receiver.
I have got the grey version which does work but i believe the output can be wired for low and high impedance headphones.

There should be a manual describing all versions : T.O. 16-40BC1206-2
but can't find it online.
Old 24th Sep 2021, 11:13 am   #2
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Detrola 438 Range receiver manual/schematic

I'm sure I did once find a circuit diagram for the Detrola version online, it's easy to find the circuit etc. for the Setchell-Carlson model but whilst they are functionally similar, they use different tube types with detail circuitry differences (also slightly different IF frequencies).

Good luck with it, it's an interesting little radio with its use of 28V aircraft supply for HT. Very compact!
Old 24th Sep 2021, 6:54 pm   #3
Hans PE1KWH
Triode

Yes it is the smallest BC receiver part i know from the ww2 era.

It works but uses 2 tubes in the end stage as opposite to the single ended output used in the Setchell ( i do have one of them too ).

Nice about those radios is the 28 V supply AND you can still use them where they are designed for, listening to beacons although not much last these days.
Old 24th Sep 2021, 8:19 pm   #4
Terry295
Tetrode

Hi Hans

Hope these are of some assistance. The values in red on the redrawn circuit are highlighted as they seem very high but that is what the original circuit say they are?

Wonderful little set, still hear some of the aeronautical NDBs from around the country!

Cheers Terry C (ZL4TC)
Old 24th Sep 2021, 8:21 pm   #5
Terry295
Tetrode

Apologies omitted to attach files, here they are
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Redrawn BC-1206A Circuit.pdf (270.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: pdf Surplus Radio Conversion Manual Vol-2_104.pdf (32.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: pdf Surplus Radio Conversion Manual Vol-2_105.pdf (39.3 KB, 86 views)
Old 24th Sep 2021, 10:35 pm   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry295 View Post
The values in red on the redrawn circuit are highlighted as they seem very high but that is what the original circuit say they are?
There was a convention with some older circuit diagrams to use "M" as the 1,000x multiplier, presumably from the Latin "mille" or some such root. Things make much more sense when this is borne in mind, e.g. a 40k local oscillator grid resistor, and 1k HT decouplers.
Old 25th Sep 2021, 7:07 pm   #7
Hans PE1KWH
Triode

Great,

Thanks Terry,
This makes me happy.

The radio works but i like to see if i can switch it to low impedance headphones.
I found the wire studs but now understand how to change it.

Have a great weekend.
Closed Thread