UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2021, 11:49 am   #1
LightBlue
Triode

Default Garrard Synchro-lab 65 middle spindle

Hello to alls

like i say some wek ago i buy a "non working" Sl-65

i just finished to redo teh grease enterly. and in mechanical level alls work perfect now!

but asdly the machine are fited with a little middle spindle for some reason?

so first of alls i search a way for take it of. i dont even see how i can do taht....

and secondly where i can fin d a otehr one? can i use the one from the bsr i used lately?

and also what needle i can put in this machine? i want play 33/45/78 rpms and i dont mind to change needles betwen the LP and 78.

thanks for you future replys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210911_120525.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	241046   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210911_120935.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	241047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210911_120943.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	241048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210911_120949.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	241049  
Old 11th Sep 2021, 7:01 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Garrard Synchro-lab 65 middle spindle

Hi, at a guess the Auto spindle for a number of Garrard autochangers should fit this deck, try searching eBay for terms such as "Garrard Autoslim/AT6(or 5) or 3500/2025 Spindle" A BSR spindle won't fit. I've found one here

The stylus required for the current cartridge in your deck would be a Shure M44 or M55. To play 78's your best bet would be to try and obtain a second headshell for the arm, a headhsell for the SP25 MkII will be fine, and fit something suitable for playing 78's; I'm sure other members would be able to advise on cartridge types.

headshell here

Regards

Andrew

Last edited by AndiiT; 11th Sep 2021 at 7:07 pm.
Old 11th Sep 2021, 7:04 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

I found a nearly identical turntable in the street about a month ago. It too had the short spindle and I couldn't remove it. The cure was to heat it with a soldering iron and lift it out with pliers.

Garrard decks of this age always have grease which turns into glue!
I also had to free the main cam and trip pawl - again, using heat from the soldering iron - see the thread in this section for guidance if necessary.
Do not use force!!
Old 12th Sep 2021, 3:55 pm   #4
LightBlue
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
Hi, at a guess the Auto spindle for a number of Garrard autochangers should fit this deck, try searching eBay for terms such as "Garrard Autoslim/AT6(or 5) or 3500/2025 Spindle" A BSR spindle won't fit. I've found one here

The stylus required for the current cartridge in your deck would be a Shure M44 or M55. To play 78's your best bet would be to try and obtain a second headshell for the arm, a headhsell for the SP25 MkII will be fine, and fit something suitable for playing 78's; I'm sure other members would be able to advise on cartridge types.

headshell here

Regards

Andrew
i just buy the middle spindle! thanks a lots for the link.
sadly the head shell not delevery in france.... (that start to be sadly common from UK seller now :/)
i guesse for a 45 rpm adaptator i need a specific one too? or the BSR one can fit?
i see some various 45 rpm adaptor like this one : https://www.ebay.fr/itm/203514227700...gAAOSwaRhgSGoS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I found a nearly identical turntable in the street about a month ago. It too had the short spindle and I couldn't remove it. The cure was to heat it with a soldering iron and lift it out with pliers.

Garrard decks of this age always have grease which turns into glue!
I also had to free the main cam and trip pawl - again, using heat from the soldering iron - see the thread in this section for guidance if necessary.
Do not use force!!
i just gently use plier and heat and is done. and now with new grease work just fine thanks for the tips!

i hope is a good automatic turntable.

there also somthing strange. is a magnetic cartidige right? but the plug from the turntable actualy only get 3 pins. so tehre no grounding to the amp?

thanks a lots for the help ! soon i motly got a nice machine with alls of that . ^^
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sans titre.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	241147  
Old 12th Sep 2021, 11:21 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

Pin 1: Left signal
Pin 2 (centre/top): combined ground
Pin 3: Right signal
Old 14th Sep 2021, 4:19 pm   #6
LightBlue
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Pin 1: Left signal
Pin 2 (centre/top): combined ground
Pin 3: Right signal
thanks! i just buy a femal plug for make my own adapter. cant wait to finaly hear taht turntables. ^^
Old 22nd Sep 2021, 9:51 pm   #7
LightBlue
Triode

thanks alls for your helps !
now is work like a charms.
i replace the old 3DIN plug by two RCA plug + ground for totaly delete teh HUMMM noise. the turntable sound beter than my AT-LPT3 so is now my main turntable.

next step is find the 45rpm adaptor. i see some LS20 .
Closed Thread