UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2016, 8:27 pm   #1
shadoman
Tetrode

Default Roberts RT7 Tuning Scale Repair

Hi All
I have just spent a few hours on a Roberts Rt7 which i got from ebay a few days ago it needed no electrical work its sounds good and is very sensitive , all the components are original.However cosmetically it was dirty but it cleaned up well and after a coat cherry blossom mid tan it looked really nice. However on the tuning scale the tape which roberts deemed fit to put on RT7 and 8 had lifted for about half its length lifting the cream ink and the tuning printed on it.After thinking how to get around this for a while i found an easy solution. I use a fair amount of document repair tape on my collection of old books and mags and i used a couple of strips of this to refix the old tape down. You dont notice the repair unless you look closely and it keeps the set original. The good thing about document tape is it does not lift or yellow and is almost invisible . You can get a roll on ebay for less than a fiver.
I hope this is useful to someone
Terry
Old 19th Oct 2016, 6:11 pm   #2
GJR 11L
Heptode

Default Re: Roberts RT7 Tuning Scale Repair

That's just the type of logical, sensible and useful solution that I managed to avoid completely when I had to do a similar repair to one of my RT7s and an RT8 that had caught the paint flaking disease from its shelf neighbour.

I downloaded the diagrams from Past Times' excellent selection of such things then I paid someone to create new dials from these, based on new slabs of persepx that had to be shaved substantially, then polished thoroughly before they were thin and smooth enough to use so I can only advise fellow RT7/RT8 owners to follow your technique and never, ever to take any notice of me when I suggest a costly and complex means by which to arrive at the same result!

Well done that man!
Old 13th Jan 2017, 9:51 pm   #3
davidgem1406
Heptode

Default Re: Roberts RT7 Tuning Scale Repair

I did one of these some time back but I went the whole way and made a complete replacement scale.
I have attached the pdf describing the process, and a picture of the completed and fitted scale.

Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	010_TuningScale.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	135877  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RT7_Scale_Artwork.pdf (60.1 KB, 631 views)
Closed Thread