UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2013, 7:24 pm   #1
llama
Octode

Default Makeshift Painton connector

I needed a pair of 2-prong plugs to go in the back of a recently-acquired Ferrograph 5A for connection to a plugged-in stereo playback head. Not knowing if the head I'd got from a series 4 (stereo) would be suitable (it wasn't!) I didn't want to invest much cash into the exercise.

The manual describes the connector as Painton P2/CT 313260.

I made a pair of makeshift plugs by taking pins out of a SCART plug. I found I had to snip away the shoulders on each pin, even though one pin should be wider. Oh well.

Next I folded over each pin so the thickness of metal was greater and therefore gripped into the socket better. Finally I found my smallest choc-block and held the pins in it using the choc-block screws. I found that making the pins face inwards gave just the right spacing. My wire connections went onto the back of the choc-block, screwed down.

This arrangement gave a nice tight fit into the socket but of course there is no orientation keying so if you do this make sure it's in the right way.

Hope this is useful.
Graham