UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2008, 10:14 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Philips N4418

Anyone on here have more knowledge of this HiFi Transistorised 3 speed, 3 motor Tape Recorder than me?? Having given the heads, pinchroller, tape guides and especially the capstan shaft a thorough cleaning, I at first had the machine running quite well, with decent quality sound & good speed stability, but later found that the speed changing switch made no difference-the recorder being stuck on 7.5ips regardless of the setting of the switch!(It HAD been working on all three speeds at first!!) Needless to say I have checked connections, PCBs for dry solder joints, operation of the speed change switch, removed plug-in modules, cleaned both contacts and sockets, put the modules back and still thething refuses to change speeds. Help!!! (i don't have even a circuit diagram for this rather complex machine, which doesn't help when trying to find a fault like this)
Old 1st Oct 2008, 12:18 pm   #2
DIN Plug Pete
Tetrode

Default Re: Philips N4418

Hello,

I have had this fault on my N4418. It turned out to be the little tape head that picks up speed pulses from the flywheel, if my memory serves me correctly. I think it just required re-positioning, but I can't remember exactly how I did it, as it was a long time ago. Might be worth checking?

Regards

Peter.
Old 1st Oct 2008, 1:40 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Philips N4418

Thanks, Pete-I didn't think about that.
Closed Thread