UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2013, 8:35 pm   #1
Paul Adams
Retired Dormant Member

Default Removing Paint from Leather

Not quite sure where to put this, so Mods feel free to move it, to the appropriate place.

I recently bought this leather AVO/GPO Case very cheaply, and the reason being it had white paint splashed over the side, back and top.

My last attempt at removing paint from a Leather surface using thinners didn’t go too well, resulting in removing most the colour from the leather.

So this time I resorted to keeping the leather dry, and using a needle to ‘flick’ the paint off, this took a considerable time, finally using a leather cream, and a good buff up, the finished job I think was well worth the time and effort.

There is still a little stubborn paint in the stitching, but is hardly noticeable.

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	case before 001.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	76445   Click image for larger version

Name:	case before 002.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	76446   Click image for larger version

Name:	case before 003.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	76447   Click image for larger version

Name:	case after 001.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	76448   Click image for larger version

Name:	case after 002.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	76449  

Old 20th Feb 2013, 12:41 am   #2
Redders03
Pentode

Post Re: Removing Paint from Leather

I remember reading somewhere that olive oil does work sometimes, extra virgin is better. It does depend on the type of paint, such as gloss being the worst.

I personally haven't tried it myself though.

Good luck
Old 20th Feb 2013, 9:22 pm   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Removing Paint from Leather

Last week I discovered that methylated spirit can attack oil paint. I had applied some neat meths to a shelf of my mother's kitchen cabinet to degrease it before applying some "Fablon" self-adhesive plastic, but found that the top layer of paint was softening and coming off, so I had to stop and use a detergent instead. The paint was oil-based paint applied circa 1970.
Old 22nd Feb 2013, 3:14 pm   #4
brenellic2000
Octode

I've found pure turpentine or a vegetable oil is best but much depends on how the leather had been tanned - if at all properly! - and how it has been finished. As always, try on an inconspicuous piece first and... good luck!

Barry
Old 22nd Feb 2013, 5:33 pm   #5
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Use saddle soap on leather and nothing else is my suggestion, when clean treat it to hide food. Years ago on major services on Rolls Royce two gentlemen came to our workshop and took cleaning and service on the leather. These two items were all they used back then.

Tony
Old 24th Feb 2013, 2:09 pm   #6
brenellic2000
Octode

I agree with the use of saddle soap to cleanse and help rejuvinate (followed by hide food to make/keep it supple) but not found saddle soap by itself helps lift dried on paint. I'm afraid its a case of trial and error... much depends on how the leather has been treated and finished.
Old 24th Feb 2013, 3:34 pm   #7
Leon Crampin
Octode

Swarfega and a nail brush is non destructive and effective with some types of paint.

Leon.
Old 25th Feb 2013, 12:07 pm   #8
Damo666
Hexode

Not paint, I know, but I used Womens hairspray to remove Black ink from my Leather settee.

It worked wonders.

It might be worth trying on paint.

I once used nail varnish remover (Acetone) to attempt to remove paint from Polycarbonate, and it was a terrible mistake. It made the Plastic an horrible dull cloudy colour.
Closed Thread