UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2017, 5:34 pm   #1
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default Leather renovation?

Hi I have a Mc Michael suitcase battery portable radio, about 1933. The case is leather and it has a deep wide grain which is in good condition but it is dirty deep down, it has been polished with a wax polish before I had it and I must confess I did try as well. So I need to do a proper clean and use something to preserve the finish.
I would be grateful for your advise. Thank you. It has suffered a little from damp and there is a trace of grey mould on the back, all my radio's suffer from this up against a outside wall. Not a lot I can do about this I am afraid.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 5:37 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Leather renovation?

All I have ever used is a quality leather polish from supermarkets and mildew can be removed from leather by various stuff on Ebay solely for that purpose.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 5:44 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

See here: https://www.liquidleather.com/cleaning-leather-i87

Their leather-reconditioner's not cheap but it works most impressively to clean, restore lustre and flexibility to the seats of a 1960s Daimler, and I used what was left on my flying-jacket.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 5:49 pm   #4
Tractionist
Heptode

There are various leather cleaners and conditioners out there - Home Bargains do some at very reasonable prices [ditto Aldi & Lidl]..... and then there's 'saddlers' too.

The main thing with leather is that it must be kept moist and flexible {have you ever dried a chamois leather out on the washing line in the sun?}. In it's 'desiccated' condition it is very prone to damage a'la a leather car seat that is exposed to prolonged sunshine.

A Guy that once sold me a fine leather jacket in Greece [when asked how I best maintained it] confided "I find that the best thing is Nivea cream"! This makes sense - because leather is merely skin - as is the surface of your hands.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 6:22 pm   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I'd put in a word for

https://www.renapur.com/shop/renapur...r-balsam-200ml

Expensive, but I've had a pot this size for around 20 years and used about half of it so far, on several radios (Roberts R77s, Rolls Phantom Five etc.) and a multitude of leather book bindings. It's seemed always beneficial and sometimes astonishingly so.

Paul
Old 12th Dec 2017, 7:18 pm   #6
The Philpott
Dekatron

I use leather food (I think it's branded Tableaux) It's the consistency of yoghurt, but dries without leaving any noticeable residue.

As for the wall, have you tried a proprietary water repellent inside and out? (Eg 2 coats of Thompsons Water seal)
Old 12th Dec 2017, 10:37 pm   #7
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

If you are passing a branch of Halfords, they'll have leather care products from both Autoglym and Meguiars; won't be the cheapest solutions but unlikely to disappoint. I've been using bee's wax polish on my dealer boots; seems to be absorbed wonderfully and leaves a good finish.

I wonder if putting sealants on walls can sometimes "backfire"? Useful to have the on-site input of an expert on such matters.

B
Old 13th Dec 2017, 10:15 am   #8
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
I wonder if putting sealants on walls can sometimes "backfire"?
It certainly can.

Lawrence.
Old 13th Dec 2017, 12:04 pm   #9
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello all, many thanks for the info. I had completely forgotten about 'Gliptone' products. The wall may improve as I have had a tree that was almost up against the wall removed and also a quantity of ivy. ( got to be careful, council property.).
Recharged the batteries and away it went.
Thanks again.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 13th Dec 2017, 12:41 pm   #10
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I recently 'recoloured' a cream three piece suite and it looks excellent - so far. I got the colouring from 'Furniture Clinic' on ebay. I thoroughly cleaned the leather with soapy water then when it had dried I wiped it all over with meths, you then apply it with a sponge and wait for it to dry. So for its showing no signs of failing.

Peter
Old 13th Dec 2017, 1:56 pm   #11
emeritus
Dekatron

My wife has had years of experience of treating leather from when she was a PE teacher, and decided that the expensive leather treatment products that we were offered when we bought our leather 3 piece suite weren't necessary. She has just been cleaning the leather every 6 months using soap and does not rinse with clean water but just wipes it dry. It is still immaculate some ten years on.
Old 13th Dec 2017, 2:16 pm   #12
kalee20
Dekatron

I'd suggest Carr Day & Martin 'Belvoir' tack cleaner, to get the muck out (squeezy spray bottle) with a soft toothbrush if necessary. Followed by a wipe over with leather dressing (eg Hydrophane). Don't use neatsfoot oil, it tends to go rancid.

Saddle soap (again, the spray stuff from a bottle) will get a super shine, but use last, after the dressing has soaked in for a day or so.

Shoe polish or toner will dull any scratches. The rest of the stuff, visit your local saddlery or tack shop.
Old 14th Dec 2017, 11:51 pm   #13
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hi thanks again, I was afraid to use water, I don't really know why, so soap and water is OK but to ask probably a silly question any particular kind of soap?
The leather is about 5mm thick and has a really thick deep grain, there is still some muck deep down. Seems that a soft tooth brush and soapy water will have to be used first.
By the way the leather is not soft but quite hard.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 15th Dec 2017, 12:34 am   #14
emeritus
Dekatron

For our leather furniture, which was supple to start with, my wife has been using a strong solution of ordinary Fairy Liquid washing up liquid, applied using a chamois leather, and then dried off by wiping with a towel without rinsing the soapy water off with plain water.
Old 15th Dec 2017, 6:47 am   #15
camtechman
Nonode

One of the oldest products around and only £6.00 a tin (Amazon)

And if you're wondering "Neat" is the old word for cattle.

My late uncle was a saddler and a general leather restorer and had a shop in Great Dunmow, swore by it but it had a side affect, after 30 years of using it, his finger nails were stained yellow/brown. And no, he never smoked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Neatsfoot.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	154004  

Last edited by camtechman; 15th Dec 2017 at 6:56 am.
Old 15th Dec 2017, 1:09 pm   #16
Geoff 555
Heptode

Well I am blowed I have a tin of Neatsfoot somewhere, used it to soak my rifle piston seals in. Fairy liquid I have plenty of - any thoughts on the high salt content? Not criticizing at all, just wondering.
Thank you.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Closed Thread