UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Feb 2020, 6:45 pm   #1
nemmi69
Diode

Default Sony TA1000ESD

Had this old girl for many years and never had an issue with it. Then turned it on one day and I have no sound. Tried various inputs and outputs but nothing. I had one of those electronic fairs have a look and they said that there is nothing visual inside that they can see wrong. Not seeing any fault messages. So at a loss now what to try. Don't want to have to ditch it.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 7:38 pm   #2
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony TA1000ESD

Does it power up properly. Does it respond to pressing buttons properly? Does the test tone do anything?

This will be very complex and difficult to repair. Do you have any electronics experience and test equipment?
Old 20th Feb 2020, 10:06 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

There are two ways of looking at it.

It is a complex piece of equipment and can do a lot of things. Just a look at the number of connectors on the rear ought to terrify most people.

The other view is that it is a lot of much simpler things flying in close formation. Very few of them are in use at any one time and each can be understood on its own if the others are not allowed to distract.

It is most unlikely that everything has failed at once.

It is fairly unlikely that a few things have failed

It is most likely that there is a single fault in an area which affects several others. A power supply would be a possible candidate, or an anti-thump relay that is supposed to protect loudspeakers.

Ideally you need someone with familiarity of that model to lead you through trying various combinations of things to narrow it down to a fault in a much smaller area.

What you you have in terms of other audio sources?
Do you have a pair of headphones?
I'm guessing you don't have a multimeter, but they're cheap.

No-one here was born with any knowledge of electronics, we've all managed to acquire it by various means, for various reasons.

If you simply want the thing working, don't give up yet.

If you want to acquire some new knowledge, it's quite powerful and you can apply it to other things afterwards. Taken at a steady pace, there's hardly any pain

David
Old 21st Feb 2020, 6:45 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Had a quick look online and according to this article - http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-E1000ESD.html it only uses two IC's, however can't find a service manual for that exact model.

First thing with any bit of gear is does it light up/is the power supply working ok, if it's just the power supply it may be a relatively easy fix. I'm not too far away from you up the A1 and over the hills aways, your welcome to bring it over and pop it on the bench.

Andy.
Old 21st Feb 2020, 6:56 am   #5
tri-comp
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
I'm not too far away from you up the A1 and over the hills aways, your welcome to bring it over and pop it on the bench.
Hi Andy,

If you get that far you'll need the service-manual.
I have it (TA-E1000ESD, no such a thing as TA-1000ESD I believe) but it's almost 9Mb i size so I'll need your e-Mail address.
Put it in a PM and the manual will be on it's way.

Best regards,

/Torben
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 8:06 pm   #6
nemmi69
Diode

Well I managed to find a service manual not that it will do me much good as I am not that good with electronics.

All I can tell is that the buttons seems to work. Tried few inputs and outputs but nothing seems to come out.
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 7:59 am   #7
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

"All I can tell is that the buttons seems to work" So, you have power of sorts, you need to open it up and do a thorough visual check, is there anything burnt, burst or bust, then check voltages as given in the manual/schematics. First check the power supply & check the IC's have power.

At some point your going to have to check those IC's, the CXD1335Q I think, does all the switching, if that's not working your in's won't get out.

Andy.
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 8:36 am   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Let us all read Post #6 again, wherein the OP clearly states he is "not good with electronics". This may need to be voltage measured and assessed by a Forum Member. There are some, maybe local to Peterborough, that might take this on?
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 11:02 am   #9
nemmi69
Diode

I took it to an electronics fair and the guy said he say no damaged capsor signs of anything burnt but said with out a full strip down (which he wasnt prepared to do) or a scope he could tell no more.
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 2:04 pm   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

I suggest you take up Andy's kind offer in post 4, or make a post here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...play.php?f=145
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 6:53 pm   #11
nemmi69
Diode

Can't see what you are getting at, sorry. Probably me.
Old 29th Feb 2020, 10:13 am   #12
nemmi69
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
I suggest you take up Andy's kind offer in post 4, or make a post here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...play.php?f=145
i looked for a link by Andy and did not see one.
Old 29th Feb 2020, 11:58 am   #13
Station X

If you want to contact Andy aka Diabolical Artificer send him a Private Message (PM).

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread