UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2019, 6:07 pm   #1
hunty3000
Triode

Default Printing a mount for a red cartridge

Split from this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=162107

Thanks for that. I have already replaced the rectifier and replaced the cartridge for one of those chinese ones from ebay as the original one was broken and are very expensive. I just 3d printed a bracket for it and fitted some new crimps. The player sounds great, better than I expected. Also the tweeter works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_20190919_151759.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	195832  
Old 13th Dec 2019, 9:54 am   #2
John10b
Nonode

Default Re: What bulb for Bush SRP31?

Well done on making your own bracket for the Cartridge, how difficult was that to make?
John
Old 13th Dec 2019, 7:04 pm   #3
hunty3000
Triode

It was very easy. Took me about a hour start to finish. I do alot a 3d printing at work so I'm used to doing it.
Old 14th Dec 2019, 10:22 am   #4
AD360 Rob
Hexode

Excellent job on the 3D printed bracket. Would you be interested in making more of these? I'm sure a few forum members (myself included) would be up for buying some .

Cheers
Rob
Old 14th Dec 2019, 10:33 am   #5
John10b
Nonode

I would also be interested in obtaining a few if possible.
John
Old 24th Dec 2019, 3:06 pm   #6
hunty3000
Triode

I can upload the 3D file if you want so you can print out your own.
Old 24th Dec 2019, 3:38 pm   #7
John10b
Nonode

Thank you for the offer but I wouldn’t have a clue how to do it, perhaps others may take up your offer. The Red Chinese Cartridges that I’ve seen on Amazon don’t come with the offer of a bracket I managed to use an old bracket that I had in my “odds and sods” draw.
John
Old 24th Dec 2019, 3:52 pm   #8
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunty3000 View Post
I can upload the 3D file if you want so you can print out your own.

Hi Hunty I would like to take you up on your kind offer we have several 3D printers in the office now time I had a go!

The one I was thinking of using is an Utimaker S5 pro apparently

I am sure we are about to get aquainted!

Cheers

Mike T
Old 24th Dec 2019, 6:04 pm   #9
Techman
Dekatron

While what the OP has done is certainly very good, I should point out a potential problem before everyone dashes out and starts printing these off. The angle of the cartridge seems to be incorrect with regards to how it would be to the surface the record. I'm surprised that the back end of the cartridge doesn't drag on the record surface, which it probably will with a stack of eight records on the platter of an autochanger. If using the OP's design it may be necessary to make a wedge shaped spacer to angle the front of the cartridge downwards by a certain amount, remembering that this additional 'wedge' will add more mass to the pickup head and therefore the tracking weight will definitely need adjusting to compensate.

Below are shown pictures of firstly an original Chinese cartridge complete with its 'clip', and secondly the OP's Chinese cartridge with its 'made clip' - you can clearly see the difference. It could well be that the Chinese original clip is too much the other way in practice and needs adjustment to get the angle correct, I don't know - some experimentation may be required.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	195809   Click image for larger version

Name:	_20190919_151759.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	195810  
Old 24th Dec 2019, 8:11 pm   #10
John10b
Nonode

It would be nice to be able to get some brackets made, if any one could make perhaps two I would like to purchase them.
John
Old 24th Dec 2019, 11:16 pm   #11
hunty3000
Triode

I designed this to be in the exact position from the original 8ta cartridge. The metal bracket on the picture is from the player so this is designed to fit that. It's perfectly fine on my player as its in the same position but don't know what it would be like on any other. Carnt see why it wouldn't fit a standard fitting. Isn't the one you are showing a fitting for a modern turntable.
Old 24th Dec 2019, 11:36 pm   #12
hunty3000
Triode

John i wouldn't know what to charge for a bracket to be honest. I need to speed knob for a dansette major if you wanted to trade for some if you have any.
Old 25th Dec 2019, 1:51 am   #13
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunty3000 View Post
It's perfectly fine on my player
As I said, will the back end of the cartridge clear the top record on a stack of eight 45 singles on the turntable?

Your Bush player is fitted with an autochanger, so it should be able to play up to eight records. If the back of the cartridge touches the surface of the top record in a stack of eight while it's playing then it's at the wrong angle, so easy enough to check.

Assuming that the Chinese cartridge clip is correct, you can clearly see that the bottom flat part of the red stylus assembly is exactly parallel to the top surface of the mounting clip so as to keep the stylus at the correct angle. You may not be able to use the old Sonotone cartridge as a comparison as it's the angle of the stylus tip that matters rather than the cartridge which may be designed differently.

However, having said all of the above, the angle of the stylus on something like an autochanger that isn't regarded as 'audiophile' or 'Hi-Fi', isn't regarded as important by the deck manufacturers, as this angle changes as each record drops onto the platter and the stack gets higher, so if it still plays without the body of the cartridge touching the record when the eighth one has dropped, then it should be near enough not to worry too much about it.

I use the cheap Chinese cartridges and I've never bought one with a clip as they're too expensive and I always make up an adapter and use spacers, wedges and packing pieces to get the angle correct.

Your clip that you've made will be fine just the way it is in most players, because a wedge shaped spacer can always be used to correct the stylus/cartridge angle if need be. The icing on the cake would be to make another clip with the same proportions as the original Chinese example.

Your clips are good and I wouldn't hesitate to use one myself, possibly with packing or a wedge to adjust the angle if I needed to for a particular tone arm or pickup head.
Old 29th Jan 2020, 11:03 am   #14
hunty3000
Triode

Default Re: Printing a mount for a red cartridge

Attached are the 3d files for the mount if anyone wants to use them. I have put a angle on it now and it does look better. I've also made it a two piece mount that slots together so it's easy to swop cartridges if needed. There is also a flat mounting plate. I used this on my bush srp31 so the cartridge sits inside the shell more. I've also tried this mount on a bsr ua8 deck and it fits perfectly in the shell without the plate. The photo attached is it mounted inside my bush srp31.
People who haven't got access to 3d printer there are lots of websites that will print it for you. Just upload the files. It's relatively cheap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0104.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	197943  
Attached Files
File Type: zip CartridgeMount.zip (25.2 KB, 91 views)
Old 29th Jan 2020, 12:38 pm   #15
John10b
Nonode

Thanks for the info, if any one decides to make some I’ll be interested in purchasing a couple.
John
Old 29th Jan 2020, 2:19 pm   #16
phildil
Pentode

I'll happily 3d print these parts (and other parts - knobs, widgets etc) for a small fee to cover setup and costs. Drop me a line via PM if interested.

cheers
phil
Old 29th Jan 2020, 6:09 pm   #17
Electronpusher0
Nonode

PM sent

Peter
Old 29th Jan 2020, 7:10 pm   #18
John10b
Nonode

Pm sent
John
Old 29th Jan 2020, 7:20 pm   #19
DonaldStott
Octode

PM sent

Which of these cheapo Chinese cartridges are recommended?
Old 29th Jan 2020, 9:36 pm   #20
Audio1950
Dekatron

PM sent

Barry
Closed Thread