UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Old Yesterday, 11:32 pm   #121
John Earland
Pentode

Default Re: Commodore PET 3016

Hi, couldn’t wait. Everything is fine! I just had a thought-I’ve been connecting the buzzer to the top terminals... but it should have been the bottom ones! It worked. However, the buzzer I bought from eBay is no good-although I can hear the Space Invaders sound effects I also get a continuous bleep. I have a smaller buzzer that came with an Arduino kit and that worried perfectly! Although it is very quiet so I guess I’ll need an amplifier. I don’t know what type to get-any ideas? J
John Earland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:34 pm   #122
John Earland
Pentode

Just seen your post-you are absolutely right! You’re a genius!
John Earland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:49 pm   #123
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

If you are looking at amplified sound, bear in mind that the amplifier will have to run on some sort of power supply, either a 9V battery or perhaps 5V taken from the PET's own internal power supply.

Here's a mono amplifier which includes an integral volume setting control:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LM386-DC-...K/254423474295

For any module like that, you will also need a conventional (low impedance) speaker to connect it to. Maybe you already have one.

You can also buy a mono amplifier kit complete with a speaker, which would be a good project to give you a little bit more experience with soldering:

https://www.kitronik.co.uk/2165-mono...ersion-30.html

Note the above kit has a fixed gain (no volume control) so you would have to experiment with resistor values or add a volume control yourself.
SiriusHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:19 am   #124
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

You may also get louder sound out from your Arduino sounder if you drop the value of your series resistor to a lower value, try 470 ohms or 1K instead of 10K.
SiriusHardware is offline   Reply With Quote