UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Feb 2020, 10:43 am   #1
Lord John
Diode

Default Garrard 3500

Good morning all, my first post !
I dabble with lots of turntables and some record players. I`m ok with the mechanicals normally but not so with the electronics side (capacitors, transistors etc.) so tend to steer clear. My friend has a record shop and is constantly feeding me with PL12D`s and similar turntables to set up and service, no problem. He gave me a Bush SRP51 with a Garrard 3500 table which is driving me nuts ! Usual symptoms of a Sonotone cartridge problem which I have changed and sorted. The sound is ok but not great. Plenty of volume but edge of distortion suggesting some of the electronic components may be on the way out. The main issue is, when I test played a single, it was fine until the arm got 2/3 across then started sticking. The arm swings freely and then you can feel a slight resistance to the trajectory suggesting a jam or lead fouling etc. I`ve checked everything I can and can`t get to the bottom of it. Underneath, all seems to be moving freely, cartridge cables are free etc. Any suggestions ?
Old 20th Feb 2020, 11:34 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard 3500

This is a very common problem with Garrard autochangers based on the original "Autoslim" chassis. In the Stickies at the top of this page, you will see many Garrard autochanger related Posts that detail how to fix this. A simple fault and liable to be the cam gear. The distortion could be the stlyus, tracking weight or DC power starvation in the amplifier.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 12:21 pm   #3
gramofiend
Pentode

I think you should start by taking a look at the velocity trip mechanism commented on in the last 'stickey thread' at the top of theses headings. It certainly refers to virtually all Garrard autochangers. In all probability it will be caused by someone who has been there before with a large grease gun and slopped lubrication over everything. over the years this has gone hard and stops the trip pawl, which activates the changer mechanism to complete its' cycles. It has to be repeated over and over that the trip pawl, which consists of two plates of shiny metal has to be dry and clean so that they rub each other smoothly. This then does not impede the progress of the tone arm across the record. You locate this vital part by taking the turntable off and close to the arm pillar and below the turntable, in a little well, is a cogged wheel about 2.5 to 3 inches in diameter and you will find the trip pawl on the outer circumference of this. I always take the whole wheel assy out, held on by one circlip, which can fly awol so be warned. I then remove the pin holding the trip pawl to clean all the components. Beware this pin may also be set in the peculiar glue that Garrard used, as did others, in the day.
I remember seeing reference to what to lubricate and what not to in instruction manuals back in the day. Strange that these manuals seem to have been thrown away when the players were sold or otherwise disposed of

Mike
Old 20th Feb 2020, 1:02 pm   #4
Lord John
Diode

Thank you both very much for your prompt and helpful responses. I don`t like being beaten with these things so will try your suggestions and hopefully get it working again

John
Closed Thread