UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2011, 1:09 pm   #1
peter10tv
Pentode

Default Aurora cost

Hello,

I thought that the current cost of imortation of the Aurora would be of interest as I have just imported one.
The charges are as follows: Aurora $235. Postage $30. This paid by Paypal, came to £176.81. Parcelforce charges: Vat £29.98, Clearance fee £13.50.
So the total delivered is £220. 29.
I have since discovered that these are available(occasionally) from the UK at a much lower price....so do your research before ordering one and save money.... maybe enough to buy another tv!

Peter
Old 8th Jan 2011, 2:34 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Aurora cost

I bought mine last month from gerry at crowthorne tubes for £165 inc P&P
I can highly reccommend them.

Mark
Old 8th Jan 2011, 3:15 pm   #3
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Unless the Aurora is CE marked it is unlikely that an established company would import them for resale.Legally the importer is responsible to ensure that the product is CE marked.If it is not he can be fined.

Mike
Old 8th Jan 2011, 3:15 pm   #4
peter10tv
Pentode

Hello Mark,

Yes, I know! I found out too late.. Still, much cheaper than that which I paid for my Domino.

Peter.
Old 8th Jan 2011, 3:37 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Ask no questions, tell no lies.

If you're going to the US or have a friend who's willing to help then Darryl is happy to ship to any US address.
Old 8th Jan 2011, 3:57 pm   #6
audiomagpie
Heptode

Likewise got mine from Crowthorne Tubes last year. £ to $ rate wasn't so good then and I paid about £180 but looking at the website £165 is about the going rate at the moment.

Worth every penny!!

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 8th Jan 2011, 8:21 pm   #7
murphyv310
Dekatron

What about to an address in Canada, my Aunt lives there but comes here every year?
Old 8th Jan 2011, 8:23 pm   #8
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
What about to an address in Canada, my Aunt lives there but comes here every year?
Suggest you PM Darryl (tubesrule) and ask. I think there is some kind of customs union between the US and Canada but best to find out from people who know.
Old 9th Jan 2011, 6:56 am   #9
tubesrule
Hexode

Unfortunately the NAFTA agreement doesn't apply to things like this, so there may be duty shipping to Canada. It's very hit or miss, although it is usually less than what I've seen reported from the UK. From my standpoint, I have to fill out the same customs forms to Canada and Mexico as I do the rest of the world.

Darryl
Old 9th Jan 2011, 9:37 am   #10
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesrule View Post
Unfortunately the NAFTA agreement doesn't apply to things like this, so there may be duty shipping to Canada. It's very hit or miss, although it is usually less than what I've seen reported from the UK. From my standpoint, I have to fill out the same customs forms to Canada and Mexico as I do the rest of the world.

Darryl
Over here VAT is equivalent to your sales taxes it is not duty. Duty is a seperate issue. Duty is dependent upon the category of product as to how much is charged, it ususally does not attract more than 3% for many electrical goods.

Mike
Old 9th Jan 2011, 11:30 am   #11
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Although we may dislike paying tax and duty they are a fact of life and should be paid if legally due. We cannot allow discussions about ways of avoiding payment here for obvious legal reasons.

Either purchase direct from Darryl and pay whatever is due, or buy from Crowthorne Tubes who presumably have dealt with all that so no nasty surprises.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread