UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2010, 3:01 pm   #1
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Default Fringe TV and Aurora

Hi,

bit of advice required, as I've worked my way slowly through the RF stage of a Fringe TV the signal is obviously getting stronger as the circuit conditions improve. I guess with the Aurora there really is no concept of a Fringe TV now.

The picture quality is excellent but the level of the signal makes the picture jumpy, it's not SOV. I found I could make it better by adding in attenuators 18db, 9db & 6db and setting the sensitivity making it better but not fully. Is there a rule of thumb for working out the correct attenuation or combo of attenuators or is it add until it goes

Chris

p.s. mods put it in this section as it's related to the output strength of the Aurora, if should be in the TV section soz

Last edited by oldticktock; 29th Oct 2010 at 3:25 pm.
Old 29th Oct 2010, 3:41 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Fringe TV and Aurora

We are certainly feeding our 405 sets with better signals than the vast majority could ever receive off air.

Suck it and see with attenuators. 12-18dB seems a good starting point with an Aurora. If you have a Domino this has a much more powerful output and you'd want to use 18dB all the time unless you needed to shout at a very deaf set.

A powerful output is also ideal for splitting to feed multiple sets.
Old 29th Oct 2010, 3:46 pm   #3
murphyv310
Dekatron

It all depends on the set, some fringe sets had an extra stage of IF amplification flywheel sync and all sorts of goodies. Later sets may also have gated AGC.
A good set should resolve a lockable picture with 10 microvolts on band 1 but should be happy with 500 microvolts without attenuation.
The aurora gives a lot more signal than that so a 12db should be about right but again it depends on the age of the set and its design.
Old 29th Oct 2010, 5:03 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I think the Aurora gives about 6mV. So you need 20dB or so to get 500uV. It's not going to be critical so 12-18dB should be fine.

A Domino gives about 18dB more than an Aurora. So do the published stand alone modulators based on 1496 chips. That covers all the common sources.
Old 29th Oct 2010, 5:20 pm   #5
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks chaps, although I did have 18db in-line there was still a bit of overload, perhaps I will wait and see once i've finished replacing the final leaky caps before making the final call.

Chris
Old 30th Oct 2010, 9:12 pm   #6
murphyv310
Dekatron

Chris,
Is this the PAM you are talking about?
The set is well designed with a very good RF/IF stage. Although fringe it still wasn't as sensitive as later designs that utilised the likes of a a PCC89, 30L17 or a PC97 frame grid valve in the tuner.
They normally are quite impervious to strong signals, but one thing to remember the aurora along with the domino produce a double sideband signal not a vestigial sideband signal that the PAM will be aligned to, that in itself can cause some disturbance with good signals.
Old 30th Oct 2010, 10:11 pm   #7
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Trevor yes the Pam which is in fact a PYE CTM21F chassis. Thanks for the info, I have no idea what your talking about with regards to VSB an area I have neglected, I shall however rectify that and do some reading.

Last edited by oldticktock; 30th Oct 2010 at 10:33 pm.
Closed Thread