UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2008, 11:29 pm   #1
Jimbo
Pentode

Question Canatron Transformers, identification needed

Can anyone help me to identify a transformer manufactured by Canatron of Newbury [Berkshire] and labelled CT 2661?

Searches on the Internet for Canatron turn up loads of 'Kellys Directory' entries but the listed web site does not respond.

The transformer was rescued from a part chassis labelled 'HV power supply' at a radio rally. The primary is clear enough as 0-220-240v and there are 3 separate secondary windings which appear to be 0-250, 0-10 plus a third winding which saw off the 1000v AC range of my multimeter with an awful fizz and a dark brown smell!

I had in mind to make a new HV power supply but I am now meter-less and none the wiser!

Any information would be much appreciated, thank you.
Old 12th Mar 2008, 2:10 pm   #2
evingar
Octode

Default Re: Canatron Transformers, identification needed

Hi

I dealt with them a few years ago, in a previous job - As you say, they are based in Newbury. Can't remember if they are still in business though The address I used to communicate with them was: -

Canatron Transformers Ltd
2 Arnhem Road
Newbury
Berks

RG14 5RU

Tel (01635) 457835.

The fact that their Web Site is no longer in existence may not mean anything. To be honest, they were never the most, shall we say, "dynamically modern" of companies.
Old 12th Mar 2008, 10:28 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Canatron Transformers, identification needed

Hi Jimbo, when you get the Avo fixed (or a new one), try feeding 10volts into the 240v mains primary and then measuring the HV output. It could typically be up to 8KV for a TV or transmitter.

THIS THING IS LETHAL when powered at full excitation so exercise extreme care. The 10V trick should give you 1/24th (approx) of the full voltage and an idea of what it will do.
This is usually the safest way to proceed with a high voltage transformer of unknown parentage

Best regards, Ed

Last edited by Darren-UK; 24th Jul 2008 at 12:24 am. Reason: Corrected search-critical typos (No offence Ed!)
Closed Thread