UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2018, 1:45 pm   #121
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Having a laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8UWM-MildMartin View Post
I remember reading, about 35 years ago, about a company, Philips in Eindhoven, Netherlands, maybe?, that had an engineering club workshop with lathes, etc. that retired employees and apprentices could join, and it worked: the retirees lived longer, and the apprentices could learn skills in an informal setting.
Hi

That sounds a great idea, good old Philips. Back in their day they must have been a great company to work for with the wealth of knowledge from their engineers and scientists.

Regards
Symon.
Old 11th Feb 2018, 7:30 pm   #122
The Philpott
Dekatron

Robinshack has said pretty much what i was thinking about all this.

I am also conscious that the member involved in the recent 'incident' that has re-boosted this thread, is no longer a member and so presumably can't answer back; a good enough reason for gun back in holster maybe..
Old 11th Feb 2018, 7:58 pm   #123
poppydog
Banned

Quote:
I am also conscious that the member involved in the recent 'incident' that has re-boosted this thread, is no longer a member and so presumably can't answer back; a good enough reason for gun back in holster maybe..
About the most sensible thing I have read on this one-sided thread
poppydog
Old 11th Feb 2018, 9:27 pm   #124
buggies
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips210 View Post
May I make a suggestion here. Maybe all new members must participate in say 10 threads without requesting help. It will at least show the member's intent, technical acumen and willingness to learn. Once the member has passed this initiating process then he/she is welcome to post requests for help. Is this a daft idea or could it prevent the kind of problems just discussed?
Difficult one. My first post was a query but I have been in the trade since before leaving school (Saturday job in back shop).
If I had no background and could not identify a component, let alone detect a duff one, what earthly use would my first 10 posts be in any thread?
Old 11th Feb 2018, 9:32 pm   #125
deliverance
Heptode

The last three posts nail it for me.
Old 11th Feb 2018, 11:37 pm   #126
Radio Wrangler

Someone new appears on the forum, most usually with a question about a problem, what else can you do but treat them reasonably and contribute a reasonable and reasoned reply?

If the question poses safety implications, then it's sensible to elicit further information to gauge the questioner's level of experience/competence. After all, whose life is the one potentially at risk?

And then, as they say, you see how it goes from there....

David
Old 12th Feb 2018, 12:07 am   #127
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
I am also conscious that the member involved in the recent 'incident' that has re-boosted this thread, is no longer a member and so presumably can't answer back
What appeared on the public forum is a matter of record. There were other unseen comments, which will remain so. The matter is now closed.
Old 12th Feb 2018, 12:49 am   #128
Oldcodger
Nonode

It does seem that when it comes to electrics a lot of common sensed folks minds seem to turn to jelly. I regularly post on a car forum and number of times I see the "change this/change that " approach to an electrical problem amazes me. Perhaps, I'm blessed with a decent engineering background, which applies to mechanical s and electrics,but I'm of the old school of "how does it work, what is not working ,and then look for a solution".
Simple example- car lamp not lit- no supply or faulty lamp.
But what needs to be taught is the half it and see technique. It doesn't matter if the fault lies on a light circuit to the top yard of a farm/ a transatlantic circuit or a track on a PCB, for simple no voltage faults. More complicated faults might involve the introduction of capacitors in a circuit to check for open circuit ones, or voltage checks on the cathode of valves, or legs of transistors, but that needs a lot of theory.
Old 12th Feb 2018, 1:00 am   #129
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
In another thread about replacing a selenium rectifier, I did make the mistake of drawing sketches and posting pictures explaining how to test the rectifier, how they and the reservoir and smoothing caps work
That wasn't as much of a mistake as you may have thought.

I for one found that information extremely interesting as it filled a hitherto unknown gap in my knowledge. Until that question was posed, I would have assumed that a selenium rectifier could be replaced one for one with a more modern rectifier like a suitably rated silicon diode and no other components. I can remember selenium rectifiers in old car battery chargers and model train controllers, but I have never actually had to replace one in anything.

Even if the OP of a given thread appears not to want to benefit from the information given, others eventually will, when they surf onto that thread in search of the same information at some point in the future.

When I'm in a position to answer someone's query myself (in this and a few other forums I frequent) I often answer it in greater detail than might seem necessary for the OP's benefit, and that is because I am conscious that the OP is probably not the only person who will ever have their problem, and that other people - possibly with less knowledge than the OP of the thread - will eventually come across it in search of the same answers.

So to me, David, time spent answering a question in great detail is never really wasted, even if it sometimes seems to have been wasted on the OP. It will eventually prove useful to someone and perhaps prevent the same question from being asked again two years down the line.

Almost every thread in this forum is a little treasure chest full of valuable knowledge waiting to be found, even if it was not always appreciated by the person for whom it was originally intended.
Old 12th Feb 2018, 10:11 am   #130
ms660
Dekatron

I actually saw what "no longer a member" had changed his profile wording to just before the thread was shut down, not very nice and it was clearly aimed at everyone that uses this forum. No further comment from me.

Lawrence.
Old 12th Feb 2018, 10:27 am   #131
poppydog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
I actually saw what "no longer a member" had changed his profile wording to just before the thread was shut down, not very nice and it was clearly aimed at everyone that uses this forum. No further comment from me.

Lawrence.
I saw them too, I couldn't believe how they managed to slip through the net, so I couldn't resist taking some screen shots. I cant see any comments that were aimed at forum members other than at the mods.
These types of one-sided threads do nothing more than drive a wedge between the elite members and the slow learners such as myself and create bad feeling and even less respect. They ruin a good forum
poppydog
Old 12th Feb 2018, 10:53 am   #132
Radio Wrangler

No wedge driven, as far as I can see.

I don't think those sorts of posts do any damage other than to the poster. Those who need help seem to get it, and the givers of said help seem to feel that it was appreciated by the vast majority of readers.

I've asked for help many times in areas I'm not familiar with, and I've been able to dispense a bit on familiar stuff. Things look OK on both sides of the fence.

Inevitably there is a steady flow of people wanting to make a quick buck off forum member's generosity and there are those with negative social skills, but by and large the community is robust enough to shrug them off. Such people contain the seeds of their own destruction and inevitably bring far more misery into their own lives than they ever can bring to anyone else's.

David
Old 12th Feb 2018, 1:08 pm   #133
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
One thing forum members may not be aware of is that some people can't even be bothered to join the forums and post a question. Instead they contact the moderators directly expecting individual treatment.
Hi

That's a bit of a liberty, you'd expect the person would want to become a member to take part in the discussions for the benefit of everyone.

Regards
Symon.
Old 12th Feb 2018, 3:05 pm   #134
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Inevitably there is a steady flow of people wanting to make a quick buck off forum member's generosity and there are those with negative social skills, but by and large the community is robust enough to shrug them off. Such people contain the seeds of their own destruction and inevitably bring far more misery into their own lives than they ever can bring to anyone else's.
Quite. Can we please draw a line under this unfortunate incident and move on.
Old 12th Feb 2018, 3:49 pm   #135
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

As this thread is heading for 7000 viewings, and I opened this can of worms, I would agree to it being closed. Its been fun, a laugh, but its getting boring.

Last edited by Boater Sam; 12th Feb 2018 at 3:50 pm. Reason: correction
Old 12th Feb 2018, 4:37 pm   #136
paulsherwin

I agree that this is a suitable point at which to close this thread, so will do so.
Closed Thread