UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2007, 10:45 am   #1
DrZarkov
Retired Dormant Member

Default VHF Band I or III modulator?

for my old (continental) TV-sets I would like to have a VHF modulator to connect directly modern picture sources like a DVD-player or a sat-receiver. If such devices have a built in modulator, it's allways UHF. Of course I have a UHF to VHF converter, but I think it would make more sence to connect it directly to the TV.

Does such a converter exist? Input should be composite video/audio.
Old 21st Aug 2007, 10:09 pm   #2
Andy Green
Hexode

Default Re: VHF Band I or III modulator?

Try Polytron - they do cable and SMATV equipment

www.polytron.de
Old 21st Aug 2007, 10:20 pm   #3
stuie319
Pentode

Hi there,

The Aurora will do it. Theres a dip switch on board for using the unit in passthrough mode as a modulator only.
Its perhaps not the most economical way if you just want a modulator, but at least its tried tested and stable, plus you get the convertor thrown in

Regards,
Stu
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 2:09 am   #4
arjoll
Dekatron

Jaycar do one for Australian channels 0 and 1 in band I:
http://www.jaycarelectronics.co.uk/p....asp?ID=LM3872

Note the stereo version will probably be A2 stereo not NICAM.
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 7:06 am   #5
DrZarkov
Retired Dormant Member

The Australian modulator is very cheap, sounds interesting! I have to look in how far it will be compatible to the German system. I've got a good tip from Oldeurope per PM, he's advising me the cable converter Axing AVM1-02, the cheapest I found until now is about 50 EUR. That's the top end I wanted to spend for a theoretical simple device. The Aurora will not work for me, our VHF system is unlike the British system basically the same as on UHF. The only remaining TV transmitter in my area is indeed ARD on CH 9 from Langenberg near Cologne, the rest is now digital only.
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 8:46 am   #6
arjoll
Dekatron

The Australians (and NZ) use system B on VHF, the only difference being the channel frequencies and stereo system - NZ uses NICAM, Australia uses A2.
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 10:49 am   #7
DrZarkov
Retired Dormant Member

The German band I is from 48.5 MHz up to 67.something MHz, with tolerances of old TV sets it would be no problem. I didn't found where the Australian channels 0 and 1 are. I hope it will match with our CH2 or 3?
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 11:30 am   #8
arjoll
Dekatron

AU channel 0 is 46.25 vision, 51.75 sound; channel 1 is 57.25 vision, 62.75 sound so you shouldn't have a problem switching it to channel 1.

As a comparison NZ channel 1 is 45.25/50.75, channel 2 is 55.25/60.75 and channel 3 is 62.25/67.75. Kat is sucessfully using a NZ ch2/3 modulator I sent over last year to run some European TVs - https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=13219.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten my hands on any more dead VCRs with VHF modulators since I sent hers over, and she's got first call on the next couple anyway
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 4:20 pm   #9
DrZarkov
Retired Dormant Member

I've just ordered 2 of them, I think the price in unbeatable.
Closed Thread