UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2008, 9:32 pm   #1
petervk2mlg
Heptode

Default AGC capacitor replacement

What voltage rating is OK for replacement AGC line capacitors? I've been using green cap polyesters with a 100 volt rating. However, on reading this from Marcus and Levy Elements of radio servicing , I'm wondering if they are adequate:
"Even though the voltage across (ACG capacitors) is quite low, it is advisable to use a condenser of high voltage rating so that the leakage resistance will be quite large."

Peter

Last edited by petervk2mlg; 4th Mar 2008 at 10:01 pm.
Old 4th Mar 2008, 9:54 pm   #2
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: AGC capacitor replacement

Marcus and Levy wrote that note in the days of paper insulation caps when a higher voltage rating did mean higher insulation resistance. Today's plastic insulated caps have very high insulation value at all working voltages so a 100 Volt cap will be adequate on a AGC line.
John.
Old 4th Mar 2008, 10:19 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

I agree. I have hundreds of the Mullard/Philips 'licorice allsort' type polyester capacitors (the ones with the value as colour coded stripes) these are rated at either 100v or 250v. Either type are more than adequate for AGC decoupling. Been using them for years with no problems.

Rich.
Old 5th Mar 2008, 7:23 am   #4
petervk2mlg
Heptode

Many thanks John and Richard for clarifying this for me.
Peter
Closed Thread