UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jun 2018, 8:14 pm   #1
matigud
Retired Dormant Member

Default Problem in recording with both sides in Revox PR99 MKII

Good day! I'm Matias and I wanted to know if you can help me urgently!
I have a problem with my Revox 99 MKII and I wanted to know if you could guide me with what things I should buy or what should I do.
My Revox PR99 MKII records perfect only to one side (L) and to R comes only volume gain noise, no pink noise, no noise, only does not record R.
One person told me that I could replace the boards with a working device, such as Record amp and Oscillator.
I do not know if that could be the problem and it would be great if you guys can guide me with that or if you know a website with support to send an email, it would also be helpful.
Thank you for the help!
Old 5th Jun 2018, 11:04 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Problem in recording with both sides in Revox PR99 MKII

Hello and welcome.
First things first: can you feed a signal from for example, a CD player into the R channel and monitor it (or get meter movement?)
Old 6th Jun 2018, 7:35 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

There were many versions of the PR99 made. Some record each channel on 1/4 of the tape width, some record each channel on 1/2 of the tape width. Some were made for replay only. The first step is to identify which version you have.

If it is a stereo one and one channel isn't working the first thing to check is that the switches are all in the correct positions for what you want to do. After that there is the possibility of dirty contacts on the switches or the printed circuit board connectors. Then there is the possibility of failures in the electronics, and the possibility of just a head being fouled with built-up oxide. Worst of all is the possibility of a failed head.

Start by cleaning the heads and checking switch positions. I use an A77 so I'm not familiar enough with PR99 controls to give guidance.

David
Old 6th Jun 2018, 10:09 pm   #4
Michael Maurice

As Ben says, feed a source say a CD player into the line in, you'll probably need to use XLR to phono connectors

Switch the monitor switch to input, make sure both record switches are up and that both input selectors are in AUX mode, turn the input level controls up. You should get readings on BOTH meters.

Come back and tell us what readings you have.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread